LED Headlights- Problems?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

LED Headlights- Problems?

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, I have just been reading the thread on LED headlamps/spotlamps, and several contributors say the LED replacement headlights do not give a particularly good beam pattern. I am planning to go 12V and LED for the spring, and I seem to have 2 options: all LED or retain QH headlamp and convert rest to LED. I can get a 45/40 QH bulb and the extra watts available from the 12V system combined with less demand from the other lights and a properly charged battery should be enough for occasional night riding - possibly even a 55/60 headlamp? Has anyone any experience of the 'combined' option, or are there LED bulbs out there that have a good beam - Paul Goff offers his 'Daylighter' bulb he claims is good. Your thoughts?
Stuoyb

Re: LED Headlights- Problems?

Post by Stuoyb »

The problem of substituting a different construction bulb is that the light source (filament/LED) is often in a different position to the original tungsten bulb filament relative to the headlamp lens.
This effectively means that the headlamp lens no longer focuses the light correctly and the emitted beam is scattered and not fucussed correctly on the road.
If you swap to a halogen or LED bulb which is designed around a modern H4 twin filament then you need to be using a compatible H4 light unit.
A bulb that emits more light (higher lux value) but is “out of focus” will not offer any improvement over a lower output tungsten bulb.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I have tried one of Paul Goff's LED headlight bulbs and was most disappointed with the outcome, the light on dip gave a T shaped short bright light and when switching over to main it brought in the second LED which gave a large poor circle of light plus the the dipped T. I have reverted back to the QH bulb with a LED rear and speedo bulb. Not tried the bike at night yet to quantify the results. The other problem with LED headlamp bulb is the surplus number of amps, the ammeter showing a constant charge of about five amps with the headlight on. The bikes electrics are six volt with alternator and original rectifier.
Expat

Post by Expat »

I converted all the original 6volt lamps on my G3 to led and find the headlamp adequate for my needs, admittedley more to show the bike's presence on the road than for where I'm heading. It's a ‘double dipper' not from any of the aforementioned suppliers and there was the issue of excess current as MikeM states.

Got around that by fitting an Areg6 regulator/rectifier to keep it all under control. I've read that the reflector should be in A1 condition at the very least, for the best results. (Mine isn't!)

All works fine for me.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I have 4 bikes currently running on LED double dippers from dynamoregulatorconversions.com and all are good compared to the original lamps. The reflectors are in good condition and on unlit country roads my ride home from clubnight is far safer than with the original 6V setup. The original double dippers used to have the dip too low and the high lighting up the sky. The newer versions seem to have over come this as I'm satisfied with my ones, but I guess it's all down to personal preference.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

It sounds like the LED I bought last month from Paul Goff is one of the early ones as the dip is too low and the main all over the place. I did ask him at the time I bought it if it was compatible light wise to standard bulbs and was told yes. I shall see what he has to say on Saturday.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

i bought some of these from Mr Goff never again they blew after about a week, he just did not want to know or really care, may be the newer ones are better.
Roy
Groily

Post by Groily »

MikeM. wrote: The other problem with LED headlamp bulb is the surplus number of amps, the ammeter showing a constant charge of about five amps with the headlight on. The bikes electrics are six volt with alternator and original rectifier.
Just a thought, but if the bike is wired as originally, then with the switch in 'lights on' mode the power of all the alternator coils is being passed through - with nothing much to use it up. I'd say it might be better to rewire the output side with, say, an A Reg 6 combined rectifier/regulator managing all the juice all the time, to ensure that you don't boil the battery. 5A is a heck of a wallop on an ongoing basis for a typical 6v battery I'd have thought. Or, wire the LED via a separate switch which doesn't affect the charging circuitry maybe?
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Thanks for the suggestion Bill, as I said previously I have reverted back to the QH bulb, I am however using LEDs in the speedo and rear lamp thereby giving a little extra to the headlight.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

ajscomboman wrote:I have 4 bikes currently running on LED double dippers from dynamoregulatorconversions.com and all are good compared to the original lamps. The reflectors are in good condition and on unlit country roads my ride home from clubnight is far safer than with the original 6V setup. The original double dippers used to have the dip too low and the high lighting up the sky. The newer versions seem to have over come this as I'm satisfied with my ones, but I guess it's all down to personal preference.
Have you tried moving the weight of the rider more towards the front of the bike this will lower it from lighting up the sky :lol:
Roy