LED Headlights- Problems?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajscomboman

Re: LED Headlights- Problems?

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:I have 4 bikes currently running on LED double dippers from dynamoregulatorconversions.com and all are good compared to the original lamps. The reflectors are in good condition and on unlit country roads my ride home from clubnight is far safer than with the original 6V setup. The original double dippers used to have the dip too low and the high lighting up the sky. The newer versions seem to have over come this as I'm satisfied with my ones, but I guess it's all down to personal preference.
Have you tried moving the weight of the rider more towards the front of the bike this will lower it from lighting up the sky :lol:
No need as I'm using the newer version. :P :P
Expat

Post by Expat »

ajscomboman wrote:I have 4 bikes currently running on LED double dippers from dynamoregulatorconversions.com and all are good compared to the original lamps.
:idea:

Ah, you reminded me of the name, that's who supplied mine.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Expat

Post by Expat »

Expat wrote:I converted all the original 6volt lamps on my G3 to led and find the headlamp adequate for my needs, admittedley more to show the bike's presence on the road than for where I'm heading. It's a ‘double dipper' not from any of the aforementioned suppliers and there was the issue of excess current as MikeM states.

Got around that by fitting an Areg6 regulator/rectifier to keep it all under control. I've read that the reflector should be in A1 condition at the very least, for the best results. (Mine isn't!)

All works fine for me.
Groily wrote:
MikeM. wrote: The other problem with LED headlamp bulb is the surplus number of amps, the ammeter showing a constant charge of about five amps with the headlight on. The bikes electrics are six volt with alternator and original rectifier.
Just a thought, but if the bike is wired as originally, then with the switch in 'lights on' mode the power of all the alternator coils is being passed through - with nothing much to use it up. I'd say it might be better to rewire the output side with, say, an A Reg 6 combined rectifier/regulator managing all the juice all the time, to ensure that you don't boil the battery. 5A is a heck of a wallop on an ongoing basis for a typical 6v battery I'd have thought. Or, wire the LED via a separate switch which doesn't affect the charging circuitry maybe?

Cor, there's a terrific echo in here ain't there? :D :D :D :D
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)