Kickstart jammin'

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Dave T_LAPSED

Kickstart jammin'

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Hi there , just a little problem, from time to time my kickstart locks at the top of it's stroke before it engages. It usually frees up after a few heavy prods and a couple of swear words, other times I've rocked it in gear to move the mechanism. My ratchet pinion is a new one, so, will it wear in if that's the problem, will I damage it by forcing it, can I remedy it, and will I get into trouble for swearing at it?
As I say, not a biggie but annoying all the same.Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Kickstart jammin'

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's a common problem, Dave, and seems to be a feature, at least in my experience of the Burman B52 'boxes. I've read that it's due to a misalignment between the k/s quadrant and pinion meaning that the quadrant and pinion teeth are point to point at certain times. According to F Neill, filing down the first tooth on the quadrant eases it.
When mine has occasionally done this (a very mechanical and immovably solid jam right at the beginning of the stroke) I free it by pulling in the clutch lever and depressing the k/start as if freeing a stuck clutch after which the k/start operates o.k. Why that should do the trick I can't say as even when the clutch is free the quadrant still needs to engage with the pinion .
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Had this a few times myself over the years, just do the same as Neville pull in clutch etc. But not hit the lever heavy to free it. I've not let it be of any concern. Considered it habitual.
clive

Post by clive »

A number of my burman kick start quadrants have the top half of the first tooth filed off. No jamming.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I vaguely recall, when my kick starter has stuck at the top, it has usually been when the engine has kicked back. The kick starter thrown up violently then shudders at the top. Perhaps causing the misalignment ?
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Rob Harknett wrote:Had this a few times myself over the years, just do the same as Neville pull in clutch etc. But not hit the lever heavy to free it. I've not let it be of any concern. Considered it habitual.
As we say in the IT world, it's not a bug, it's a feature.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Thank you all for your experiences! So it seems it's not a problem more like "character" of the old bikes. I'm relieved that I'm not damaging the mechanism and the next time I have the gearbox end off(long time I hope) I'll be rounding that quadrant tooth! :)

A bientôt, Dave.