Burman B52 gearbox 1953

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
pallijen

Burman B52 gearbox 1953

Post by pallijen »

Hi, now being satisfied that the clutch performs ok I have stripped my gearbox to renew worn parts. I cannot engage first gear, all other gears I can but becomes more difficult after a short period of use. Part number G-9-1, third gear on the layshaft which engages with first gear on the layshaft, the spigots protruding have been worn down to about 5mm. In the parts book the illustration they appear to be quite a bit longer so I think they are too worn down to engage with the holes with first gear G-13-2. Does anybody have one of these that they could measure the protrusions please. G-31-1 chain drive sprocket, teeth are hooked so will replace this. When I replace this are the tabs on the lockwasher supposed to be bent up to prevent nut from becoming loose? The one I took off the tabs on the lockwasher had not been touched. I checked main bearing and can't feel any play but haven't washed yet. Will wash in petrol but I think this is ok. I will replace bearing oil seal even though this wasn't leaking, they're cheap enough. When I removed the mainshaft the splined sleeve G-35-2 was very stubborn to come off and before removing it I could move the mainshaft about 7-10mm back and forth so was wondering that maybe the sleeve wasn't far enough on or is this normal? Should the splined sleeve not just slide on and off. I have since put it back on the mainshaft and had to force it on. It only goes on easy for about the first half inch then I had to use a hammer and socket to take it the rest of the way. There is some play on the bushes or is this normal? What's the best way to remove the bushes? I was thinking to knock out the cap behind the blind ones to remove them but will the caps seal the oil when I put them back in? Is it more important for the bushes in the gears to be a good fit on the shafts? Part number G-24-2 spindle for gear control quadrant has some wear on it's shaft but I think a new bush would be ok for this rather than a new spindle. And lastly, with regards to the third gear, rather than sourcing for a replacement, is it possible to have the spigots built up to their original size? As always all advice very much appreciated. Thanks, Paul J
ducati2242

Re: Burman B52 gearbox 1953

Post by ducati2242 »

Just replaced the main shaft in my 55 B52 gearbox and the splined sleeve B-35-2 slid on and off easily . I built the clutch up with the roller bearings and G-37-3 off the shaft and slid it on all together . The spigots on my G-9-1 cog werent anywhere near as long as the parts manual picture . One tab on the lock washer was bent over the nut that holds the drive cog on . This is the only reference I have to G-9-1.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.