Registering my AJ

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Phil

Registering my AJ

Post by Phil »

Hello everyone.. Virgin post here! I own a 1952 AJS m16, I bought this very presentable machine from a gent who inherited it many years previous, at the moment it is a non runner but is all there down to details like tyre pump. I need to verify the frame, engine and reg number as I have no log book, can anyone give me advice on this subject please? Thanks for reading... Phil K.
Duncan

Re: Registering my AJ

Post by Duncan »

Hi Phill

Have you seen this page ( http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp ) on the main site?
Phil

Post by Phil »

Hi Duncan, yes I saw that... only I don't have a log book! Wondered if this can still be done if bike is genuine, which I believe it is. Am sure club will have record of it. Would love to keep original reg number. Thanks for quick reply... Phil.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Contact the dating officer dating@jampot.com he will advise what you need to do
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Hi Phil
I see you are coming up as a guest. Good to dip your toe in for free, but think about joining as a member as their is huge free knowledge to be had. And the dating service is also greatly reduced. Dont know the difference, always been a member, but the service i have had from the current and previous dating officers have helped me register 2 bike and the service is excellent
Best of luck
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Phil wrote: Would love to keep original reg number.
Phil, As I understand it, unfortunately if you have no official documented (e.g. log book, etc) evidence that the registration number is associated with the frame number it is highly unlikely you will be able to retain the registration. The club records do not normally include registration numbers as they were allocated once the machine had left the factory.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks everyone, possibly as I feared but will check with dating officer. Strange I am coming up as a guest as I joined club this week. Must investigate!! 😦
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I assume you have made contact with the DVLA requesting a V5, they replied to the effect the bike is not registered. To get the old reg. no. back you will need old log book. There is a chance old DVLA records are archived. If old records show the frame number, reg. no. there is a chance you could reclaim the old reg. no. ( Dating officer will know the latest requirements about that, it that is incorrect ) Also inform you how to get an age related number.
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

I couldn't keep my reg number . the only proof of reg that i had was the number plate on the bike . I was told that because the bike had not been registered from 1986 when the new reg certificates came out then i couldn't have the original but got an age related number instead . Bike is from 1955 .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ducati2242 wrote:I couldn't keep my reg number . the only proof of reg that i had was the number plate on the bike . I was told that because the bike had not been registered from 1986 when the new reg certificates came out then i couldn't have the original but got an age related number instead . Bike is from 1955 .
Having just a reg. no. plate has never been accepted as proof of the number for the bike. At one time old log book, tax disc, original bill of sale, even old insurance doc show all bike and reg. no. were acceptable. Not so now, they have tightened up upon what they accept as proof.
Many years ago I brought the remains of an pre war bike. The owner had sold to a dealer. The dealer gave me the owners address, as the person who sold the bike to him said he had and would keep the log book. When I made contact with the PO he said he also had all the missing parts & log book. He would not sell, in fact asked for HIS bike back. I pointed out he had sold the bike I brought and it was now my bike. Long story of a lot of phone calls, letters AND treats. Even saying he saw my bike at a show and should have taken it. It was his, said he had the log book to prove it was his. Any way the DVLA had looked at my bike, came a couple of times to look without making an appointment, to see how I was getting on with the restoration. On his last visit, he said you have done well in almost finishing it. I will arrange for you to have a log book with the old reg. no. At that time you should have restored and M o T 'd the bike before you got a log book. However he was from the DVLA and saw my intentions were good. He waived what was the rule in the procedure of getting the original reg. no. Times have changed. However, if you play by the rules to satisfy the DVLA you should have no problems. This is where the club dating officer come's into play. As he will advise you of the correct way to go. To satisfy the DVLA's latest requirements. That should be the end of this topic. You will know what you need to do to get the bike back road legal again.