000805 Fork crown ball race

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
McBob

000805 Fork crown ball race

Post by McBob »

Hi, I can not find a supplier who has the bearing with the correct I.D. AMOC parts service replaced my first one, but the replacement suffers the same problem. Purchased a third from a vendor who thought it was not from wassell's, and that is the problem, all of them seem to come from the same manufacturer.

The issue is - worn original has an I.D. of 1.25" (31.75mm) and the 3 replacements are 32mm and therefore loose on the stem.
Does anyone know where I get the correct sized bearing from?
(I have tried AMC classic spares, he does not stock this part, I suppose because of the above).
Andy51

Re: 000805 Fork crown ball race

Post by Andy51 »

Hi McBob, the difference is 0.25 mm or 9.8 thou. Have you tried wrapping a strip of 5 thou shim round the stem to take up the slack? Andy
McBob

Post by McBob »

Thanks Andy, had considered shimming but wasn't confident they would not disintegrate being so thin
REW

Post by REW »

Hmmm. Planned this operation this winter. Others who have done this job - are races always slack? Did you shim or what?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
mollymole

Post by mollymole »

locktite would do the job I should think
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Loctite is not particularly good at gap filling and the bond will break in use - best to shim with a section cut from a feeler gauge and bonded with Loctite.

Regards Mick
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

This is a very poor state of affairs and does not bode well for future spares supplies for our bikes. These parts should simply fit correctly and on such a critical component there is no excuse for shimming/Loctite etc.
The implication is that Wassels are the supplier, in which case they need to be told about the precise nature of the problem so that it can be put right asap.
I recall a conversation with Malcolm at Andrew Engineering some two or three years ago when he was contemplating retirement. There was a concern then that purveyors of parts were going for the cheapest options when buying new stock. Sadly, this is a consequence of such actions.
Bob.
McBob

Post by McBob »

Have followed the good advice given to try Andrew Engineering, they manufacture their own races and informed me the dimensions are correct.
They will take a few weeks to arrive, but if you are interested Ron I will let you know how they work out.
REW

Post by REW »

Thanks - keep us posted.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
McBob

Post by McBob »

True to their word, the kit supplied by Andrew Engineering is the correct fit, many thanks for the help!