Seals for kick/gearshaft

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
shifter

Seals for kick/gearshaft

Post by shifter »

Are the outer cover oil seals for the kick-start and gear lever shafts the same arraigment (fitting) on the Burman and CP gearboxes. I have done the ones on my 16ms (Burman b52) but would like to do the ones on my 1950 model 20 with what I am sure has a CP box.
Thank you any help appreciated
shifter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
?
zwarts

Re: Seals for kick/gearshaft

Post by zwarts »

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The early CP boxes, being grease lubricated, did not have seals at either of these locations. It was expected that the lubricant viscosity would limit leakage. Provided wear on the shafts is not excessive this works reasonably well. The outer case could be machined to take a garter seal for the kick start shaft. An O ring groove could be turned in the detachable gear change housing
Cheers, Bob.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Thanks Bob
There is no real leak just very slight dampness at the bottom of the kick-start shaft exit I have just had a look at it after taking the lever off and there certainly looks to be a seal in there. ?
shifter
?
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

In that case it will almost certainly be the same size as the kick start seal on the B52 Box. I have just finished rebuilding a 1952 Burman BAP box, they are a very heavy-duty version of the CP, but there was no seal on the k/start shaft of that one.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Again thank you so I may have been told I have a b52 box on my 16ms when its not but the seals I ordered and fitted from the forum spares work perfectly ?
I have just been reading about a cp box on the internet and the chap is saying with the cover left on drill 2 small pilot holes in the kick shaft seal screw in 2 self tappers then it will pull off the shaft have you seen anything like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
?
REW

Post by REW »

If you search the forum you will see several of us get round Burman leaks by using semi fluid grease (maybe with some 50wt to soften it) rather than surgery and new seals. Worked well on my CP and B52
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Yes thanks Ron I know about the semi grease and may use it if the there is no other solution, but hopefully that's a long time off as I say its just a little moist no drips. I was just thinking if there were seals it would be another little job to do over the winter
?