Making a better felt filter for the oil tank

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
REW

Re: Making a better felt filter for the oil tank

Post by REW »

Looks right! Full size next? Worth a Jampot article (I hope)?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Group Leader wrote:Mick's suggestion about ready made, seamless tube deserves some serious Googling at some point.
Google perforated stainless steel tube at the same time maybe :)

https://completestainless.co.uk/product ... ated-tube/

For example

Regards Mick
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Mick D wrote:
Group Leader wrote:Mick's suggestion about ready made, seamless tube deserves some serious Googling at some point.
Google perforated stainless steel tube at the same time maybe :)

https://completestainless.co.uk/product ... ated-tube/

For example

Regards Mick
Interesting, I used this mesh to make a replica air cleaner for my lightweight
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

I've not managed to track down a suitable means of rolling my mesh yet - I feel rolling it will yield far better results than "coaxing" it around a steel bar with the aid of a big hammer!

I did take one of the better, inferior filter meshes (read cheap if that makes more sense!) and trimmed the ends up and then made it somewhere close to the right length with the addition of a couple of rings. It turned out that 22m pipe fitting Olives were just the right diameter for the rings and the tapered OD lead was spot on with just a little fettling of the ends of the mesh. They were soft soldered into position and then trimmed to length by wedging them on the end of a suitable file handle to maintain the circular shape whilst they were sawn with a Junior hacksaw. A final tidy up with a file and then a good clean in thinners followed by scrubing with washing up liquid and very hot water.
Mesh Small.JPG
I'd better start sewing ......

I wonder if it will work?

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

And this evening I have been sewing ... and then my wife took pity on me. She's far better at sewing then me!

I tried the overlapped joint approach but, try as I might with straight or bent needles I didn't get very far (about 3"). So, just as an experiment Mrs GL finished the job by butting the edges together and sewing across the seam.

The net result? A re-felted filter that looks like it's just the job, with the right OD over the felt ends and maybe a mm or two a bit too long. I feel a second go at the felt is required; without the interesting transition between styles half way along! I'll use either the butt joint or maybe have a go at the most easily sewn, external seam although I can't help feeling that will end up with too much spare material.

Anyway, I think I'm on the Home Straight with it now and I think you'll agree, it seems perfectly "doable" - I'll just have to wait for a 1000 miles or so until the next oil change to see if it fits and works!

Alan
Eh voila.jpg
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Looks perfect to me!! maybe it I will try that for my lightweight as my ones felt has seen better days and they are quite expensive to buy
Last edited by Ozmadman on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

What a nice job !
REW

Post by REW »

Well done! The edge sowing does seems to be vital doesn't it? I cannot see if the turned over edge has been tacked to the mesh as it is on my original sample.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

REW wrote:I cannot see if the turned over edge has been tacked to the mesh as it is on my original sample.
Not on this one but it will be on the "production" version :)
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

A "proper" felt liner has now been made with a butt joint, kindly sewn by Mrs GL. Made-to-measure, the felt turned out to be 8" x 2.75".
Final Filter (3).JPG
This left ~20mm sticking out of each end when inserted.
Final Filter (1).JPG
The ends once soaked in hot water fold back really easily. Once dried, the ends were stitched onto the mesh to make sure they stay in place.

And so I present to you Production Filter #1 ......
Final Filter (2).JPG
I'm calling that a success! :)

Alan