How to do it videos

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

How to do it videos

Post by spookefoote1956 »

As you probably all know I've been having trouble with timing. Would it be possible for members with such skills to upload videos for this type of situation onto youtube. I have looked to see if there are any already and feel that they would be most useful.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Harry44

Re: How to do it videos

Post by Harry44 »

I'm not that computer savy. But perhaps I can help.

Assuming you can observe the valve gear and the spark plug removed to get rid of compression and make the engine easy to turn over, rear wheel clear of the ground and top gear engaged.

Slowly rotate the rear wheel in a forwards direction and watch the valve gear. The cycle is induction compression power exhaust. But for our purpose its better to start with the exhaust stroke.
The exhaust valve opens early but should be fully open with the piston at the bottom of its stroke and remain open till the piston gets to the top.
The inlet valve opens very slightly early so that at the very top (end) of the exhaust stroke both valves are open at the same time. This is called "overlap" It allows the inertia of the exhaust gasses to start to pull the next lot of air fuel mixture into the cylinder.
As the piston starts to descend the exhaust valve closes and the inlet valve should be fully open and stay open after the piston starts to come back up again this is because of the inertia of the gasses again getting more into the cylinder even as the piston starts to ascend and compress the gasses.
Continue to turn the wheel forwards and as the piston rises the inlet valve closes and we now have real compression (You wont feel it cos the plug is out). When the piston is on this stroke rising with both valves shut the points need to open 1/2 inch before the piston gets to the very top.
The next downward stroke is power both valves are shut until about 3/4 of the way down when the Exhaust valve opens again. This seems like a waste of power but isn't because the gasses will not expand much more and we need to get rid of them which is the next upward exhaust stroke. I would advise you to watch the cycle several times till it starts to make sense. If it doesn't follow this pattern the valve timing is wrong and must be sorted before you play with the ignition timing.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
spookefoote1956

Re: How to do it videos

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Cheers Harry, that's making more sense. If the sequence isn't being followed with exhaust on dot 1 then I will try it on dot 2
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein