Screw size, 88SA switch

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
thornebt

Re: Screw size, 88SA switch

Post by thornebt »

Rob Harknett wrote:
Janet wrote:
Mc-Maz wrote:Already searched ebay for the domed washer with no joy.
Re. "is £1.80 too expensive????" - with delivery and, the £1.80 magically becomes £5.70. I'm originally from yorkshire, need I say more!
What's your alternative if you don't buy it at that price?
Do a bit more leg work Janet, I just found them at £3.70p.
Would the original switch have had a cross head screw like the Ebay one for £3.70? It doesn't look right to me. Bruce.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes Bruce you have spotted the cheap item is not a slotted screw, but we are after "cheap" so you get what you pay for, save a couple of £. fit something they does not look right may not function right. What happens?????? The knob falls off. So you now have a knob to buy and fork out for what you should have done in the first place. Place a new knob.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

If I needed this part I'm sure I could find the correct screw in my workshop. I'm lucky in that I've acquired a load in the past. For the washer I would attempt to recreate it using a swaging punch. I think a stainless steel washer would look nearly as good as chrome.

Of course, it might not work out as well as I hoped and I would probably get one at the next autojumble, which for me is the VMCC one this weekend at Shepton Mallet.

I do wonder why Ebay sellers who are selling this screw and washer do not bother to supply a proper slotted screw!

Cheers. Bruce.