dynamo locating strip photo

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Radcap

dynamo locating strip photo

Post by Radcap »

my dynamo has no locating strip fitted, ive ordered one from the club spares , can some one post a photo of where it goes , does it screw to the dynamo body ??
Rob Harknett

Re: dynamo locating strip photo

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should be able to clearly see where the location plate fits. ( On the correct dynamo ) Sorry I don't have a 51 CS if that is the bike you are referring to. Knowing what year model does help us in answering a question.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I think fitting instructions are in the kit.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=505
Maybe some words to help here also. Plus there's one other Tech tip that really only tells of the importance of getting the strip in the correct place.
Groily

Post by Groily »

It does screw to the dynamo body, as long as there are two tapped holes for it to attach to. It's just a bent bit of tin really, nothing very special, but needs to be in the right place if it's fitted. Your E3AR body may well have the tapped holes. A similar short dynamo of slightly different spec might well not.
I take it you have the right kit and caboodle to secure the pinion on the drive end?
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

yup, as Bill says, 'tis only a bit of bent steel, I made mine and elongated the holes a tad in order to locate it correctly once the chain was aligned. kind regards
Radcap

Post by Radcap »

Thanks for the replys . I did check the previous post for imformation .
Its a 1950 18c .
The dynamo is a E3AR
Im sure ill work it out
Thanks
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Rob Harknett wrote:http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=505
Maybe some words to help here also. Plus there's one other Tech tip that really only tells of the importance of getting the strip in the correct place.
When I had to rebuild my E3N dynamo recently for my 53 16MS and reposition the locating strip I did so as follows (with the primary chain off of the bike and out of the way):

1) Lightly nipped the strip against the dynamo body with the fixing screws

2) Installed the dynamo and checked the alignment of the driven sprocket with the driving sprocket by clamping a short length of straight, 6mm square section aluminium tubing (B & Q's finest) to the tooth face of the driving sprocket.

3) Slid the dynamo across (moving the location strip as it went) so that the its sprocket just nipped on a "fag paper" between it and the face of the ali tube (I'd already checked with a vernier that the two sprocket's teeth were the same thickness).

4) Dynamo removed and the locating strip was then tightened up once in the correct position.

5) Re-installed the dynamo

In reality and mainly because of the awkwardness of the position of the mounting screws when the dynamo is installed, I had to repeat the process a couple of times to fine tune the position to get it exactly right but the big benefit was that no tricky measurements or arithmetic was involved and it seems to have worked OK.

I don't know if my method would work in your case but it might be worth considering but it cannot be stressed too much how close those two chains are and the consequence of them meeting if you don't get it right!

Hope that helps.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Radcap

Post by Radcap »

Thanks alan