G80s rear chain replacement

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Trevor68

G80s rear chain replacement

Post by Trevor68 »

Hello,can anyone give me a clue as to how many links there should be on my G80s rear chain and where i can purchase one,my original chain(0-ring) type has seen better days (it actually has 3 split links all in line with each other),so time to replace it.
many thanks Trevorious.
SPRIDDLER

Re: G80s rear chain replacement

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's all in the original Parts List. (In Christians Archive). Your Profile doesn't say which year is your bike.
Can you not count (and calculate) the equivalent number of full links in the current chain?

I'm not sure if chain lengths varied for different years but here's a link to the '55 model for example (other years can be found from the same link).

See Page 19 (assuming your bike has standard sprockets)............

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

The Club spares service stocks chains.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

buy a good quality motorcycle chain, I say this as I sourced chains for both primary and final drive from a local bearing supplier, the rear chain has stood the length of time but the primary I found had shed a lot of its rollers, they were laying at the bottom of the chain case, I wonder if this particular chain was for industrial use and tensioned only one way, if you understand what I mean?, when subject to the pull/push of the primary forces it just wasn't up to it, kind regards
Trevor68

Post by Trevor68 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:It's all in the original Parts List. (In Christians Archive). Your Profile doesn't say which year is your bike.
Can you not count (and calculate) the equivalent number of full links in the current chain?

I'm not sure if chain lengths varied for different years but here's a link to the '55 model for example (other years can be found from the same link).

Thanks spriddler for the link,i had already counted the links but because there was so many split links in the chain i wasn't sure if it was an original,and after visiting the link it would appear the chain measured 5/8 as opposed to what it should be which is 6/8x3/8 in 98 links.
Best regards Trevor
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Trevorious wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:It's all in the original Parts List. (In Christians Archive). Your Profile doesn't say which year is your bike.

Thanks spriddler for the link,i had already counted the links but because there was so many split links in the chain i wasn't sure if it was an original,and after visiting the link it would appear the chain measured 5/8 as opposed to what it should be which is 6/8x3/8 in 98 links.
Best regards Trevor
Can't be 6/8ths as that's 3/4" and no factory chain was supplied in that dimension. Rear drive chain is not O-ring as it's too heavy a chain for our bikes and the size you require is 5/8 x .380 x 98 link.
Trevor68

Post by Trevor68 »

Thanks AJScomboman,This is why i came to the forum for help,i assumed the chain was wrong form the off as their where too many split links and it didn't sit snug on the rear sprocket so again thank you for the correct chain spec,placing order now.
Regards Trevor
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

You may find that when you replace the rear chain with the correct one that it is too long. If it is like mine was when I bought the bike, the primary chain had stretched so much that the chain tensioner had been adjusted to the limit and a "PO" as Pharisee would call them had removed "spare" links in the rear chain to compensate. Oh yes, my rear chain just had the two replacable links in it ....

So, make sure the primary chain is up to scratch first (if I remember correctly mine could stretch the equivelent of about 4 links when laid on the bench!) then you can sort out the rear chain.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: