oil leak

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
matchbart

oil leak

Post by matchbart »

my 1955 G3LS motor has developed a bit of a leak from the square plate with 4 nuts at the end of the oil pump, the oil is weeping quite badly from behind just one of the nuts, before i take it off does anyone have a suggestion as to what i may find ? ie torn or badly fitted gasket, stripped thread ? anything else... the nuts all appear to tighten ok, i will get a new gasket anyway, or make one, should i use some sort of sealant as well...
clive

Re: oil leak

Post by clive »

I would be inclined to try just removing that one bolt and putting your favourite sealant on the threads and doing it up again. To replace the gasket you will probably need to drain the oil tank as once you take the cover off oil spews out and it is difficult to get any seal. I got away with just tightening all the bolts to stop a fairly major leak after returning from Poland, but the front one needed the gasket changed. I use wellseal as well as the gasket.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

Thanks, i will give that a go and report back...
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Any report back ?
Sam
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

So far all i have done is remove two of the screws and cover them in thread seal, then replaced them, the leak is now just a dribble which seems to be getting less ..