G5?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
TrevorB

G5?

Post by TrevorB »

Please excuse my ignorance but can someone advise the difference between the Matchless G3 and G5. I am pretty sure that the G3 is a 350 ohv model but the G5? This I have seen this described in various documents/adverts as either a 350 or a 500. I am new to all this AMC business and thought the 500 ohv single cylinder machine was known as the G80.

Thanks in anticipation.
TeeBee
Duncan

Re: G5?

Post by Duncan »

Hi Trevor, basically one is a lightweight and one is a heavyweight, have a look through the pages here ( http://www.jampot.com/H_PostWar.asp ) then come back with further questions.
TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

Cheers for that Duncan. I'll have to do some reading up on the history of AMC and its various models.

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful response
TeeBee
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Depends which era you refer to. Matchless G5 was first introduced in 1937. It was a 500 Side Valve then. The AJS model 8 was introduced in 1926, that was a 500 OHV then. There are a few post war models that were totally different in the prewar era. ( Post war G5 and mod 8 were only badge different post war. Totally different prewar. )
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

The G3 is a 350cc and so is the G5 (probably the one you are referring to made between '59 and '62).. The Matchless G5 and the AJS model 8 are the same bike but badged differently (Much like the Austin and Morris cars in the pre BMC era) The G3 is a heavyweight and the G5 is a lightweight (actually there is not too much difference in weight between the two in reality) The appearance of the G5 models is one of a more modern style where they made it appear as if the engine and gearbox was in one casing (unit construction) whereas the G3 is of the more traditional Brit bike design showing separate engine and gearbox. To add there is also a Matchless G2 and an AJS model 14 (which are 250's) with various refinements (G2cs, G2csr) in later models up to about 1966/7 I think.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Or to put it another way, the G3 and the G5 are two totally different bikes with totally different 350cc engines.
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

And a G4 is a current model used predominantly by those riders who may or may not be about to lay up their bike for a period of months or years depending on what the judge says. :shock:
The G4 has also proven expensive and unreliable!!
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This is a 60's 350cc G5 (a so-called 'Lightweight').
G5.jpg

This is a '57 350cc G3 (LS) a so-called 'Heavyweight'.
57 G3LS.jpg
Essex Lion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

kernow kid wrote:And a G4 is a current model used predominantly by those riders who may or may not be about to lay up their bike for a period of months or years depending on what the judge says. :shock:
The G4 has also proven expensive and unreliable!!
Regards kk
G4 ????? was that a typo?? If not then its off topic. There cannot be many G4 riders laying up their bikes. A quite rare and pretty prewar bike with its bright Red and chrome tank.
G4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Yeah, typo Rob...I meant G4S....the special version...Google it...
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...