g3l engine number

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
r wheat

g3l engine number

Post by r wheat »

Hi I have just acquired a engine with the stamp 48 / g3l 9438 above and between the 3 and the 8 is the letter "B", I have 46 g3l engine but this is different in many ways it seems to be wider with a totally different crank case possibly to take larger main bearing, the barrels and heads seem the same, could any one tell if the "B" means anything or were all g3l engine changed to this shape thanks Richard
SPRIDDLER

Re: g3l engine number

Post by SPRIDDLER »

According to F Neill, up to 1947 the 500 and 350 engines had their own specific crankcases and bottom ends. During '48 this was changed and thereafter both capacity engines used the 500 crankcase and bottom end; big end, flywheels, main bearings....

I read somewhere but can't find the reference at the mo that a 'B' was stamped either above or beside th'engine number to denote 'Bowden' (cables presumably) but why this should be necessary beats me.

Later edit.
Found the reference whilst looking for something else. It's on the WD Matchless website..........

Quote: Service replacement engines were introduced by Matchless in May 1942. .......... the increased diameter ⅞ ” crankpin was first fitted to some machines. As this change occurred part way through the contract on some crankcases ⅞ or ⅞ P may be stamped denoting the use of this crankpin over the previous standard of ¾ “.

You may also find a capital 'A' or ‘B' denoting Amal or Bowden controls.
Unquote

http://www.matchlesswd.co.uk/engine-and-frame-numbers/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

SPRIDDLER wrote:I read somewhere but can't find the reference at the mo that a 'B' was stamped either above or beside th'engine number to denote 'Bowden' (cables presumably) but why this should be necessary beats me.
Later edit.
Found the reference whilst looking for something else. It's on the WD Matchless website..........

Quote:
Service replacement engines were introduced by Matchless in May 1942. .......... the increased diameter ⅞ ” crankpin was first fitted to some machines. As this change occurred part way through the contract on some crankcases ⅞ or ⅞P - the letter 'P' was stamped denoting the use of this crankpin over the previous standard of ¾ “.
You may also find a capital 'A' or ‘B' denoting Amal or Bowden controls.

Unquote

http://www.matchlesswd.co.uk/engine-and-frame-numbers/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
r wheat

Post by r wheat »

thanks very much for the imfo cheers Richard