Burman B52 'box end cover bushes and seals

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajscomboman

Re: Burman B52 'box end cover bushes and seals

Post by ajscomboman »

Just dug out a spare and my spring is symmetrical as well. I'd be ever so concerned now and would even contemplate strippng the box to just double check. :twisted: :twisted: :beer:
REW

Post by REW »

There will be no more stripping round here thank you, it's mid winter again :evil:. The spring ends are the same as each other, just the shape of the edges top and bottom that differ. A road test will tell if I got it right but it is "indoor games" today.

And yes, keep in touch JB. The Beamish is fun and there are numerous AMC owners (several club members too) round here and some smaller clubs, more loose groupings really and a section, worth a thought anyway.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
REW

Post by REW »

A good ride in the sunshine this weekend and the box is very positive and the lever centres far more strongly than it did previously so I guess the return spring had been weakened/cracked for a while.

Now, I have read in several threads and other bike forums about using semi fluid grease in a Burman B52. Indeed I know at least two committee/ex committee members that do. So, do you use a pint of the stuff (Penrite) or 500mls or how much? Furthermore, do you add some 50 wt to thin it a bit? I use Castrol Spheerol in my CP box with some added 50 wt but the Castrol stuff is grade "0" while Penrite is slightly thinner at "00". I would be interested to hear of people's experiences with this.
Ron

Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I found that I needed 1 and a bit 500 ml packs.
There was still some residual oil in the gearbox that the Penrite mixed with.
It's very thick when cold so I warmed the bottle in hot water to make it more fluid for filling.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

OOoops, I just put SAE 50 in it when I was using it. So I'm watching this with interst for when I swap it back in over winter.

Johnny B
REW

Post by REW »

The B52 and post '48 CP box are intended to use 50 wt oil. However many people use semi fluid grease 'cos it works just as well but leaks less! Certainly that is how it is with my '49 CP so I want to try the same trick with the B52. That sounds like a "good" pint Stuart - slow down the gearchange? Fewer leaks?
Ron

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I use Fuchs 00 semi fluid and haven't noticed a slower change but certainly stopped the leaks. I just top up the box with a syringe full every now and then.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I would say the gearchange was more precise - probably because it was a tad slower (but I hadn't got a MotoGP quickshift fitted).
Definitely no leaks 😀
REW

Post by REW »

Righto, thanks guys, I will have a go (soon).
Ron