fitting a fairing

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mshaw

fitting a fairing

Post by mshaw »

Hi I need a fairing or windshield for my 1958 springtwin model 30 can any one tell me if there is one that I can buy that will fit my bike

Regards Mike
dave16mct

Re: fitting a fairing

Post by dave16mct »

Try ebay, there's usually a few 'droopy snoots' on there. Or you could go for an all transparent one like the National Cycle type. here's one on ebay: 331853126838

Dave.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

mshaw wrote:Hi I need a fairing or windshield for my 1958 springtwin model 30 can any one tell me if there is one that I can buy that will fit my bike

Regards Mike
Almost all of the ones that clamp to the handlebars will fit, they are not usually make/model specific even if they are advertised for a particular machine
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=SCRU031
This is probably about the nearest to the old type windscreen, you may now find.
The old type fairings do come up on e bay. You will probably have to find handle bar clamps and stays. Also L brackets to pick up on the fork pinch bolts.
Getting an acrylic or polycarb blade made would be tricky.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Duncan wrote:A few more options here: http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/ac ... e-fairings
I am surprised to see there's a replica of the old 50's Avon fairing there Duncan. £275 now, cost was about £8.50 in 1960, I still have the sales cat.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... es_cat.pdf
I am sure I paid about £7.50 for mine in 1956, which was a whole weeks wages.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

You probably paid under £200 to buy a house back in 1956 and was earring about £10 a week if you were lucky. Rob.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have a MRA kba 37960 fitted to my old NTV 'tis good for 80mph plus without moving ,attaches to handlebars and is adjustable, comes in two parts, don't seem to be able to find one on the net maybe discontinued, however they show an almost identical one on Amazon, MRA vario col 33534, not particularly cheap at £120 or so maybe worth a look, kind regards
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A little word of warning if buying an old S/H Avon type fairing. This also carries the headlamp. The headlamp just removed from the headlamp shell, wires extended, then fits the fairing with the same fittings as used to fit on the headlamp. The headlamp is thin metal the fibre glass fairing about 3 x thicker than the metal H/L shell. They never did fit as secure in the fairing as they did in the headlamp. So often fell out. So check an worn old fairing is not damaged or worn where the bottom metal tag fits the slot, also the top clamp fits. On one old fairing I had to make a new clamp. When screwed up the old clamp fitted the rim OK but not the fairing. I made a longer clamp, also bent up higher, so at the fairing end it went a bit deeper into the fibre glass, in which I made a slot for it to grip into.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I have an original Avon fitted to the Matchless. If you need any info then Rob, as you've probably guessed, knows a lot. I could give the learners view. Rob mentioned the fittings and I was fortunate that mine came with them. I made the "L" shaped brackets up out of the metalwork off a defunct wood extending ladder; they're very strong. It's useful to have a slot in these to faciliatate adjusting the whole thing and particularly the headlight beam.

Coiln Farrington (Catmando Services in Jampot) usually does wiring looms but turned up some extending bolts to replace the allen socket head pinch bolts in the forks; subsequently these were damaged and a local chap made some up for me.

It's useful to ensure that you use the large "penny" washers with the fibreglass and I cut up an old inner tube to go between these washers and the fibreglass and similarly with the fittings. I got a replacement screen from, memory fails but I think Triumph Parts; I have their bill. Care needs taking fitting this as well, similar to the bolts through the fibreglass. First time I used those washer type things with a cap that are used to fit numberplates when using steel bolts but now have some of the specific fitting kit.

It's worked really well for me and although you'll get more engine noise if you're doing longer distances, particularly in bad weather (Celles sur Belle IJR) it can be a real boon.

Johnny B