tyre pressure

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mshaw

tyre pressure

Post by mshaw »

Hi can anyone tell me the tyre pressure front and rear on a 1958 600cc springtwin
regards M Shaw
leswaller

Re: tyre pressure

Post by leswaller »

It depends what tyres you are running, modern tyres need higher pressures due the flexibility of the walls. If you know what your tyres are then contact the tyre dealer you bought them from who should be able to advise you
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
burrage
Deceased

Post by burrage »

Recommendations at the time were approx. 18 psi front and 22 psi rear, but the comments re later tyre construction and stiffness by Les are correct. Common opinion is to use slightly higher pressures than those quoted.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Since no specific figures have been forthcoming on this frequently asked question.........

The pressures I use are:

Front: Avon Speedmaster/Mitas/ Dunlop K70. 3.25 x 19........ 24psi solo to 28psi with pillion or camping gear.

Rear: Dunlop K70. 3.50 x 19.........28 solo to 32 with pillion or camping gear.

Riding 25,000 miles in 6 years on my G3LS I got 9,000 miles from the front tyres (either a Speedmaster or a Mitas equivalent) and 6,000 from the rears (K70).

From memory these seem to be the average figures which many/most use.
I've been told by those who know about these things and as already mentioned above that modern tyres have softer sidewalls than in the 50's / 60's and require higher pressure than those given in the Owners Manuals.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'