Matchless 41-G3L First time working on one of these..

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: Matchless 41-G3L First time working on one of these..

Post by SPRIDDLER »

1608 wrote:Are you sure that a tight ( pulled ) cable is advancing and not retarding the ignition. It does differ on different models and years I believe.
Post edited now to clarify any ambiguity.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It should be easy to discover which way the lever swings to advance or retard. First take the points cover off and observe. You can see the cable pulls up and lets down mechanism at the mag end, which can get stuck, also the cable. With the engine running, retarded, the engine will run slow. As you advance the lever, the engine will run faster.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Thanks for educating me on this one Dave ... I should indeed have guessed it wouldn't be that easy!

Cheers, Bruno
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

there is an easy way to know which way the advance/retard lever should be set. Look at the end of the mag where the points are and if the control cable goes into the back (right side) then you pull the lever back for fully advanced, if the control goes in the front (left side) the push the lever fully forward for fully advanced. I hope this sorts your problem out.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

there is an easy way to know which way the advance/retard lever should be set. Look at the end of the mag where the points are and if the control cable goes into the back (right side) then you pull the lever back for fully advanced, if the control goes in the front (left side) the push the lever fully forward for fully advanced. I hope this sorts your problem out.
bikeserv

Post by bikeserv »

I did a leeakdown test on the engine since its unresponsive and found a 55% leak on the exhaust valve.So i will take it appart and see what is wrong,and let you know