Matchless g3ls

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
shifter

Re: Matchless g3ls

Post by shifter »

Thank you for all the advice on the tyres and tubes, Dave I am going to go with you on the Mitas tyre for the rear of the model 20 as the one that's on has good tread but has been on since 1991 so needs changing
?
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Although the rear tyre is specified as 3.50 x19, myself and others use a Mitas 4.00 x19 because the Mitas 3.50 x 19 looks rather like a 3.25 cross section. The 4.00 just fits inside my 1959 Model 31 mudguard.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its not just spoke holes that need to be airtight ( if that's possible ) I am sure the wheel rim itself, was not designed for a tubeless tyre. Getting an old rim to seal will prove difficult. Alloy wheels on my 11 year old car take some sealing. I have had the oxidised alloy rims refurbished, tyre fitted with sealant and filled with nitro instead of air. Still they loose pressure. One I asked to be removed and the rim refurbished etc. was actually found to have a slow puncture.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i use 3.50x19 mitas H02 at front and 4.00x19 H02 on rear .
the rear tends to wear quite quickly and i was thinking of perhaps a more upmarket longer lasting rear tyre but seeing as i have 2 spare rear tyres i bought this year i will still use the mitas ones into the future .

the 4.00x19 mitas were around £37 each and so if you are into expiry dates for tyre useage then they are a good bet as they dont last that long on the rear anyway .

i still have some perfeclty good 1980s beaded edge tyres on my 1922 vintage bike , but it only reaches 25mph flat out .
LynP

Post by LynP »

Some tyres are listed for being suitable for tube or tubeless fitting. Having been advised that Pirelli Pro Trail tyres were tubeless but could be fitted tubed I bought a pair; (Pirelli only make one size for the front and one size for the rear in this pattern}. They were to be fitted with tubes a 2.75 front on a WM1 rim and 4.00 section rear on a WM3 rim. Both rims were fitted to a heavyweight alloy hubs and stainless rims from Central Wheel Company, the front tyre was tight but fitted OK. The rear was so tight I had to take it to local motorcycle shop to have it fitted and even they stuggled before eventually getting it onto the rim using their machine.
From what I was told tubeless tyres when fitted to tubed rims are often very tight but as mentioned in previous posts always need a tube due to spoke holes, trials tyre clamps etc. From my experience I will not fit tubless tyres to tubed rims again as I cannot see that I would be able to fit a rear with a new tube if a puncture happened out on the road.
Last edited by LynP on Fri May 26, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevegevans

Post by stevegevans »

Hi all;
Thanks for your reply to my first post ref. tyres.
Unfortunately I'm still unclear as to what size tyre I should fit.
I have a 3.50 19 Avon SM fitted to the front of my G3LS which needs replacing.
I know that as standard it comes with a 3.25 19 tyre, so have I got a non standard rim or can a 3.50 tyre be fitted to the standard rim?
If so, is there any advantage in fitting a 3.50 tyre on the front?
Ref the tube/tubeless tyre discussion, I recently read a post accident report that recommended fitting tubeless tyres with a tube as tubeless tyres have stiffer sidewalls and are less likely to come completely off the rim after a rapid tube deflation.
Regards
Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The 3.50 x 19 avon SM is a rear tyre. If you're going with Avons, the front is a 3.25 x19 Avon Speedmaster and the rear is an Avon 3.50 x19 SM.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

The rim will accommodate a 3.50 as easily as a 3.25 tyre. But a 3.50 is too big for the front especially if it is an Avon SM which as Dave says is a rear tyre.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
shifter

Post by shifter »

Well that's the 4.00-19 H02 with tube ordered I hope it fits ok, took the old girl for a spin in the countryside early today 70 mile round trip around 5:45am nice to see all the wildlife
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
?
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Hi, just about to order a pair of tyres I need a front for one bike and a rear for another, would these tyres be the correct ones for front and rear?.
These tyres would have to run with a Dunlop tt on the rear, and on other bike I have a remould on the front.
The existing tyres I am leaving are not perished and look in good nick.
Mike

http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/672/35 ... -universal
Mike