Matchless g3ls

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
stevegevans

Matchless g3ls

Post by stevegevans »

Hi All
I have recently bought my first Matchless, a 1954 G3ls and have been reading the warnings on the forum about old tyres.
I checked mine and the front shows as 2002 so I need to change it but the size is 3.50 x 19, not 3.25 x 19.
Should I replace it with a 3.50 or a 3.25?
The rear is a 3.50 from 2007 so I plan to use it for this year.
Thanks
MikeM.

Re: Matchless g3ls

Post by MikeM. »

The front tyre is normally 3.25 x 19 and depending on your choice I am one of those who use Mitas tyres,
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

MikeM. wrote:The front tyre is normally 3.25 x 19 and depending on your choice I am one of those who use Mitas tyres,
i also use mitas tyres and rate them as pretty good..they always feel secure even in the wet
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Is this the correct tyre and price, or can Å·ou recommend someone, as the club doesn't sell them?
Also, is this same tyre for front and back?.

http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/667/32 ... -universal
Mike
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes it's the right size, but I found Mitas tyres smaller than most, so I fitted Mitas H02 3.50x19 front and back.
Dave
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

I find it difficult to understand why a tyre company can't make their tyres to the standard, or are they saving money by making 3.25 and 3.50 tyres in the same mould?

Rob C
shifter

Post by shifter »

Dave
Are the Mitas HO2 tubed or tubeless fitment as I need a rear for my model 20, if tubeless I gather I will just have to fit a suitable rim valve and the tyre will fit the original rim ok? Sorry for my ignorance but I have only had dealings with tubed tyres.
Thank You
Kevin
?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

They're the normal tube type. They're OK too. May not wear as well but most of us (not you Johnny!) do a fairly low annual mileage anyway.
Dave.
Janet

Post by Janet »

shifter wrote:Dave
Are the Mitas HO2 tubed or tubeless fitment as I need a rear for my model 20, if tubeless I gather I will just have to fit a suitable rim valve and the tyre will fit the original rim ok? Sorry for my ignorance but I have only had dealings with tubed tyres.
Thank You
Kevin
I'm aware that I'm about to ramble off topic here but it does answer your second question and may help someone else in the future.

As usual, I'm no expert on this but in my experience of using tubeless tyres, I've always fitted them with a tube as normal. This is for two reasons. Rims for tubeless tyres are usually a slightly different profile than for tubed and the tubeless tyres are designed to suit. fitted to a 'tubed' rim, they may not properly form the air-tight seal that is required for tubeless. A correctly inflated tube will provide sufficient pressure on the inside of the tyre to hold it tight. the second reason is that even if you can get it to seal on the rim, you'll find it darned difficult to seal all the spoke holes.

A word of warning, though. Some tubeless tyres can be a little rough on the inside so could chafe a tube, particularly if it is under-inflated and can move a little. I've never had a problem with this myself, but to reduce the likelihood, I always use a good quality tube that is more robust than a cheaper one.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Sound advice there from Janet. Also, wondered who would be first to bring up the spoke hole thing :)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)