Suspension (spring is in the air)

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Dave T_LAPSED

Suspension (spring is in the air)

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Hello folks, having recently got my G80CS on the road I'm finding a fly in the ointment, namely, the rear suspension is painfully hard. The dampers I have are Girlings which damp effectively but I'm unsure of the spring rates. Would a competition bike have harder springs than normal? A problem I have is that I have never ridden a road oriented AMC machine and so cannot compare suspension comfort. I really need to soften the springing as my back is fragile nowadays(disc operation in 2008) and I don't want it damaging! Can anybody help, please. Dave.
Rob Harknett

Re: Suspension (spring is in the air)

Post by Rob Harknett »

The Girlings would not give a soft ride like modern suspension. Are yours adjustable? Some one may suggest a modern replacement type.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Thanks Rob, it's the not knowing that annoys me, my units are on the softest settings. I'm thinking maybe there are softer springs available but as mine are old and came with the bike which is not all original they could have springs for towing a chair, I don't know. Do road springs give you double vision at 50mph over a bumpy road? Mine do!
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Dave
Talk to the people at Hagon 020 8502 6222, they are very helpful. When I got my G9 a few years the rear shocks were totally shot and as the bike was/is a bitsa with non AMC shocks I didn't know what to replace the old ones with. I phoned Hagon told him what the frame was (it's a late G80), told him how heavy I am, and he supplied a pair of shocks with appropriate springs etc which have been very good.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise

Post by 1608 »

I believe there are different rated springs available, they are colour coded I think. Someone who knows will probably be along shortly.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Sus ... rques_.pdf

The above link will explain the colour coding.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Thanks guys. I did find some minute specks of red paint loose inside the spring when I demantled the unit,so thus armed I think I'll ring Hagons and try and find some nice soft springs from what is available and what they can recommend.