b52 geabox cover

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
shifter

b52 geabox cover

Post by shifter »

I have bought a second hand b52 gearbox and wanting to check it over but the outer cover will not come free i have had the one thats on my 54 16ms off to renew the gasket and that one came of with ease. Am I missing something or has there been a change in design ie hidden bolt/nut ? they look like identicle gearboxes
Thank you
Kevin
?
leswaller

Re: b52 geabox cover

Post by leswaller »

Is it stuck on with sealant rather than a gasket? If this seems to be the case then try sliding an old knife between the joint. Do NOT use a screwdriver
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
shifter

Post by shifter »

Done that to no avail what I have done so far is take all the outer cover screws out remove gearstick and kick-start levers a few taps with a rubber hammer while using a blade. ?
?
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

shifter wrote:Done that to no avail what I have done so far is take all the outer cover screws out remove gearstick and kick-start levers a few taps with a rubber hammer while using a blade. ?
That sounds like a good next step
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

No. Don't remove kickstart and gearlevers. Do remove the gear indicator, nut, and spring. Then using the kickstart lever, wiggle the cover free.
Dave.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Got the little devil off tonight I think someone in the past has used a form of superglue to seal it once again thanks for the help and advice
Kevin
?
shifter

Post by shifter »

shifter wrote:Got the little devil off tonight I think someone in the past has used a form of superglue to seal it once again thanks for the help and advice
Kevin
Gaskets ordered from the site ready to put it back together as all appears to be good with the box am I right in thinking that I may as well fit kick start and gear lever shaft seals as well the numbers in the parts book don't match the ones on the site sales dept , Kick 11206825 Gear 27-7-4 pwb4 ?
?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes you may as well replace them. Kickstart oilseal club number 11206825, (has the Burman number underneath 27-7-5), gearlever is 27-7-4. Seems clear enough to me. I don't know where you got PWb4 from??
Dave.
shifter

Post by shifter »

All ordered from the club sales dept thanks Dave
Kevin
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'd be inclined to check the clutch lifter mechanism at the same time.