frame number query

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
matchbart

frame number query

Post by matchbart »

Does an A prefix on the frame number denote a specific year ? (g3ls)
Rob Harknett

Re: frame number query

Post by Rob Harknett »

No. A is just a prefix used when they started re numbering again in 1954, although at first they used FA prefix. The actual number will identify the year. Factory records can identify the year and model. Also if the bike was an AJS or Matchless.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Rob Harknett wrote:No. A is just a prefix used when they started re numbering again in 1954, although at first they used FA prefix. The actual number will identify the year. Factory records can identify the year and model. Also if the bike was an AJS or Matchless.
Rob just let them apply for a dating search and I will do the rest.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Maybe now the person knows just what information the number can reveal,, I am sure the person will now want to know more Roy.
May even get the person interested enough to join the club and learn even more about his bike. Also reap the benefits of being a club member.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Bart has already said he's going to join the club but he's got a new toy to play with so is bit busy.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

G15 Roy wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:No. A is just a prefix used when they started re numbering again in 1954, although at first they used FA prefix. The actual number will identify the year. Factory records can identify the year and model. Also if the bike was an AJS or Matchless.
Rob just let them apply for a dating search and I will do the rest.
I don`t need a dating search, the bike is registered and on the road, using it and enjoying it, i was just curious, i have never experienced a club like this... thanks and goodbye.... over and out
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

well???? you asked a question at 5.25pm and I gave you the answer at 6.13pm. That should have satisfied your curiosity.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Just someone who wants extra info. about a machine but thinks it should be free (free means
paid for by the people who pay membership fees to support the club that provides the service).
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

OK, i wasn`t going to bother answering but `the person` (matchbart) has only had the bike 4 days and as Janet pointed out in other posts `the person` does intend joining the club proper, `the person` probably still will join, free information was not the only reason for `them` to access the forum, it`s a means of finding out what the club is like, some of the comments did not endear me to the idea of joining but the plus points will outweigh all the negatives of the forum. Janet and some others have been friendly enough but some of you...

discuss..
les ward

Post by les ward »

I've always found the club a friendly and helpful, but, as often happens with the internet, things can get misinterpreted.
To answer your original question a little more fully post war production started in 1945 with frame number 500. By around May 1953 they got to frame number 99999 and decided to start again with an A prefix with frame number A500. By the end of production in the mid 1960s frame numbers had reached A85000 +.
So the A just signifies 1953 on. Quite often period old style logbooks leave out the A, just to confuse matters.
Hope this helps and enjoy your bike.