frame number query

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajscomboman

Re: frame number query

Post by ajscomboman »

matchbart wrote:OK, i wasn`t going to bother answering but `the person` (matchbart) has only had the bike 4 days and as Janet pointed out in other posts `the person` does intend joining the club proper, `the person` probably still will join, free information was not the only reason for `them` to access the forum, it`s a means of finding out what the club is like, some of the comments did not endear me to the idea of joining but the plus points will outweigh all the negatives of the forum. Janet and some others have been friendly enough but some of you...

discuss..
It's the written word and interpretation that causes the problem. Just carry on Bart and take a leap of faith and join. Once the member sign appears under your name many will calm down, some won't but that goes with the territory and is the same in every club that has an online forum (been there and done that already). This bunch are generally very good but bear in mind how many times they've seen similar things happen over the years it's no surprise that just occasionally they get it wrong.

As Janet and others have already said, welcome, join and enjoy.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

les ward wrote:I've always found the club a friendly and helpful, but, as often happens with the internet, things can get misinterpreted.
To answer your original question a little more fully post war production started in 1945 with frame number 500. By around May 1953 they got to frame number 99999 and decided to start again with an A prefix with frame number A500. By the end of production in the mid 1960s frame numbers had reached A85000 +.
So the A just signifies 1953 on. Quite often period old style logbooks leave out the A, just to confuse matters.
Hope this helps and enjoy your bike.
I fully agree with Les. This club and its forum in particular is worth much more than the membership fee. On the forum you can get an answer in minutes instead of spending hours trawling the internet. Everyone is really helpful. I thought Rob's answer was very helpful but it seems Roy thought that Rob was treading on his toes.

Anyway, I would never want to fall out with anyone on here but I just wanted to reply to this post and say to Bart that he won't regret joining the club.

Les - I hope you don't get told off for providing more information!

This is my one and only contribution to this topic as my view is that it's best to move on and all be nice to each other.

Cheers. Bruce.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The answer to the question in this topic was simply no. Most of the additional information I added, is well documented and known by many. Many new owners are eager to learn more of the history of their bike. Which only factory records will reveal. I have a 1955 350 single, which has a twin frame and 1958 age related number. I am happy with that and have never bothered to discover what engine first sat in the frame of my bike or if it was AJS or Matchless. I am sorry if using " person " offended. I would usually refer to a person by their name. This is much easier to do if a person uses their name and signs off a posting with their name. I do belong to one forum that insists people use their name and sign off a posting using it. Where else but a forum are you not referred to by the name given at birth. Except by a few that have given you a like it or not, nick name. Rob.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I like this.
thornebt wrote: it's best to move on and all be nice to each other.