Gearshift oil leak, chains and chaincase leaks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajscomboman

Re: Gearshift oil leak, chains and chaincase leaks

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Well spotted Janet, that is what it states in the AMC parts list. In club spares it states, complete. I am sure from other suppliers I have always found the chain to be complete. I still have the habit of ordering a split link. Having been caught out loosing a spring in grass years ago. Then not having a spare spring. So buy a chain and a link. Put the link in your tool box. I once brought a light weight from a lady owner. There was a spilt link fixed on the front brake cable ??? Having small hands, the link held the lever in a bit shortening the reach for the lever. She also always had a spare link.
Rob, all chain lengths quoted from any supplier that I've ever used in over 35 yrs has always included the split link in the number quoted. Also why would he want to order another split link when he already has 2 on the existing chain. An old link is always going to be good enough for an emergency.
pallijen

Post by pallijen »

Hi, found the reference in parts list book for Model G3LS which says 017376 Chain, rear, 98 links but doesn't say whether this includes split link or not. Shouldn't think it would matter though if it doesn't include split link. No rear chain adjusters on this model ( I think you mean the long thin bolts that push the spindle forward). Was looking at the gearbox and the level plug is about the same height as the gear lever spindle so I think this should be ok once the level drops slightly. Just ordered a chain of 98 links 5/8 x 3/8, hopefully this will include split link. Thanks
Janet

Post by Janet »

pallijen wrote:Hi, found the reference in parts list book for Model G3LS which says 017376 Chain, rear, 98 links but doesn't say whether this includes split link or not.
If you were looking in the same parts book that I was, you'll see where I quoted from, and that the split link was included in the total number, as it will be with the one you ordered today a chain today.
No rear chain adjusters on this model .
I believe you should have 'snail' cam adjusters on the rear wheel spindle.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Well spotted Janet, that is what it states in the AMC parts list. In club spares it states, complete. I am sure from other suppliers I have always found the chain to be complete. I still have the habit of ordering a split link. Having been caught out loosing a spring in grass years ago. Then not having a spare spring. So buy a chain and a link. Put the link in your tool box. I once brought a light weight from a lady owner. There was a spilt link fixed on the front brake cable ??? Having small hands, the link held the lever in a bit shortening the reach for the lever. She also always had a spare link.
Rob, all chain lengths quoted from any supplier that I've ever used in over 35 yrs has always included the split link in the number quoted. Also why would he want to order another split link when he already has 2 on the existing chain. An old link is always going to be good enough for an emergency.
You never know when you may need two or more spare links Rob. I've come across it twice. Last time was about 10 years ago on a run. One of the lads threw a chain that got damaged. Lucky for him, some one had a chain rivet extractor. Between us we had enough spare links to put the bits of chain together again and carry on with the run. As for parts lists, what they state is what AMC supplied. You are no longer buying from AMC. A part may not be the same as AMC supplied. There are also some doggy chains about. I came across one on which the figure of 8 part was thinner. The link of which would not act as a spare as you could not get the spring clip on, if the chain you were fitting it on had thicker figure of 8 parts.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Sorry Rob but I think you're making half of this up just to try and justify that the info you gave him was wrong. I never go out on a ride thinking I must carry extra spares just in case someone else may breakdown. As for odd links, well maybe, but only just maybe because I've yet to run across that one in all my years and various marques and types.

Sometimes it's just better to say sorry and accept your wrong rather than keep coming back with feeble justification.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

When I order new chains I always go to the Chain Man. The size includes the link and I always order a chain which is one full link (3 pins) plus 1 1/2 links (2 pins) longer than specified. This allows me to remove the appropriate amount of links from either end to give an exact fit at the tight end of adjustment to allow for any future stretch.
It is much better to remove links rather than add extra spring links and increase the probability of one giving out.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
pallijen

Post by pallijen »

Hi all, I feel I may have a smaller sprocket on either the rear wheel or main drive. Just put the new chain on and there's about 1 1/2" slack at rear wheel right back. This is just about the same when I take the machine off the centre stand. For the spring frame model the book says 1 1/8" play which, once off centre stand will reduce to about 1/2". I don't understand how can you get a chain with odd links because wouldn't this mean the split link wouldn't fit, link being raised one end and not the other. Janet mentioned the "snail cam". Is this the internal next to brake plate nut? According to the book it's supposed to bring back the wheel evenly on both sides therefore never having the wheel out of alignment although the wheel moves on the o/s this can still be moved independently. My primary chain has 66 links (two split links in here also). What are the correct number of teeth for the drive sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket? When I went out for a run the other day I was quite surprised at how slowly it would go round a corner in 3rd Thanks, Paul J 1953 G3LS
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

JimFitz wrote:When I order new chains I always go to the Chain Man. The size includes the link and I always order a chain which is one full link (3 pins) plus 1 1/2 links (2 pins) longer than specified. This allows me to remove the appropriate amount of links from either end to give an exact fit at the tight end of adjustment to allow for any future stretch.
It is much better to remove links rather than add extra spring links and increase the probability of one giving out.

Jim
Hi Paul

That is why I suggested getting a longer chain including a half link which is actually 1 1/2 links as the fishplates are cranked on the half link giving the one sprocket tooth length reduction. You are never quite sure what you are getting sprocket - wise on a new bike so the extra length will cover all eventualities.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Paul,

standard gearing on a 53 G3LS is :
18T engine
40T clutch
16T gearbox
42T rear wheel sprocket/drum.

Dave.
pallijen

Post by pallijen »

Thanks Dave and Jim, will check the sprocket sizes tomorrow. The old chain was 96 links and this was too tight. The new chain is 98 links and too slack, not possible to adjust any more plus I readjusted the primary chain as this was too tight also, so this would have helped with the new chain. I wouldn't have thought less than two links (since I brought the gearbox forward for primary chain) would have made that much difference. Sorry Jim, still don't understand the 1 1/2 links bit. For a split link to fit doesn't the chain always have to be an odd number of links plus the split link for the split link to fit? It's not possible to take out only one link and fit the split link but if I take out two links my new chain will be the same amount of links as my old one