Gearshift oil leak, chains and chaincase leaks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Janet

Re: Gearshift oil leak, chains and chaincase leaks

Post by Janet »

An odd number of links is achieved by the use of a cranked link set, sometimes called a half-link. It's actually two links joined together but the free ends of the outer side plates are cranked in so they are the same distance apart as the plates on the inner link. The cranked link replaces an outside link. This then needs to be linked to the chain at both ends. If I've go it right, to change from, say, 98 links to 97 overall, you would need to remove some links from the chain but it's beyond the ability of my brain cell to work out how many.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:An odd number of links is achieved by the use of a cranked link set, sometimes called a half-link. It's actually two links joined together but the free ends of the outer side plates are cranked in so they are the same distance apart as the plates on the inner link. The cranked link replaces an outside link. This then needs to be linked to the chain at both ends. If I've go it right, to change from, say, 98 links to 97 overall, you would need to remove some links from the chain but it's beyond the ability of my brain cell to work out how many.
You can reduce a chain by a link or increase a chain by a link. Both involves removing part of the chain. Then fitting the correct crank link to do the job. Like Janet I can never remember what to remove from the chain. Just lay the crank link along side the chain, you should then see where you need to break it. Extract both rivets to easily remove the figure of 8 part. As well as getting the correct crank link, you will also need another split link, as you will need two split links to join up the chain + join crank link. Remember I said it would be handy getting a chain ( complete ) and split link as it may come in handy. This is a time when it will come in handy. This was often used as a bodge years ago, to take a link out of a worn stretched chain, to get a bit more life out of it. Some parts list will show a certain type crank link. The light weigh exploded engine drawing does show one for the primary chain. I have reworked that drawing, separating it into 7 parts. I think it makes it more user friendly. It will blow up quite big. It may be handy for your bike Janet.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Cut ... _Parts.pdf
It even shows clearly, the answer to last weeks quiz.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

...................or do as I suggested and order a chain from the Chain Man with an extra cranked link made onto it and take it off if you do not need it thus avoiding the increased failure possibility with two split links in your expensive brand new chain :headbang:

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

JimFitz wrote:...................or do as I suggested and order a chain from the Chain Man with an extra cranked link made onto it and take it off if you do not need it thus avoiding the increased failure possibility with two split links in your expensive brand new chain :headbang:

Jim
Andy 'the chain man' is an excellent person not only to supply chains, but also is always willing to give good advice.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do not think Andy could have helped with this chain purchase. He could have advised the correct chain length. He would have to be told the correct length, for some reason, is not correct for this bike, it's a link too long or short, then he could make up a chain to fit with just one joining link. You could even do this yourself, given the parts and tools to do the job. But it is best to leave chain riveting to a person that knows exactly what they are doing and have the tools to do the job. I've tried it when I have not had a crank link, not been happy with my riveting, so got a crank link and used two split links. ( I got the rivet too tight )
pallijen

Post by pallijen »

Hi, thanks for all advice. The Spares AMOC spares scheme had no 97 links chain in stock so I rang the Chain Man. He sent me a cranked link and connecting link free of charge! I telephoned him yesterday afternoon and received parts via 1st class post this morning. Ok Jim, I'll also be getting all my chains from here from now on. Very helpful guy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

pallijen wrote:Hi, thanks for all advice. The Spares AMOC spares scheme had no 97 links chain in stock so I rang the Chain Man. He sent me a cranked link and connecting link free of charge! I telephoned him yesterday afternoon and received parts via 1st class post this morning. Ok Jim, I'll also be getting all my chains from here from now on. Very helpful guy
Very helpful man, that's why the club buys from him.