Gearshift oil leak, chains and chaincase leaks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
pallijen

Gearshift oil leak, chains and chaincase leaks

Post by pallijen »

Hello and thanks to all for previous help. I have a leak coming from the gearshift lever bush. Do I need to renew the bush to eliminate the leak? Quite annoying as I took off the kickstart end cover to clear out the grease that somebody had put in and put a nice new gasket on. All sealed except for this. Took it out for a run today and it is very heavy when warmed up stopping and then starting off in first. Going in is ok but it's the shifting from first to second. I noticed the gearbox was moving about a bit and found that the bottom bolt hadn't been tightened up but that's sorted now. Maybe that was it. Also noticed that the rear wheel couldn't be set any further forward and seen that there were two split links in the chain. I counted the number of pitches as 96 including the two links. I can't find any reference in the manuals with regard to how long the chain should be. Spoke to a friend who didn't like the Renolds chains as the one that he got stretched quite quickly. Can anybody recommend a good quality rear chain? And lastly, I read somewhere of a guy who sealed his primary chaincase with Stormguard or something. Has anybody any tips on what to use? Thanks in advance, Paul J
ajscomboman

Re: Gearshift oil leak, chains and chaincase leaks

Post by ajscomboman »

Firstly , what type gearbox, AMC or Burman and what chaincase Ali or tin, I'm assuming tin. If it's a tin one the club seal can't be beaten and as for a chain again the club sell IWIS as it's about the best you'll get today. With regards to length 97 links for 350 single and the twins or 98 for a 500 single.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Do need to know year and model. If the gear box was moving about chains front and rear would loosen or tighten. There probably should be a gear box adjuster. Which prevents the gearbox moving back and forth. Could be a gearbox that needs grease. Could be an old model the chain case seal & bands will not fit.
pallijen

Post by pallijen »

Sorry, too much rush. The 'box is a B52, number GB1 A52 A409. G3LS 1953 model. Chaincase is tin. Put old seal back on with some silicone but it was quite cracked round edges. 97 links, is that excluding the split link? Thanks
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, I had oil weeping from the gearchange shaft oilseal after rebuilding a B52 'box. After taking the k/s cover off twice, I tracked it down to the oilseal twisting slightly as I pushed the outer cover over the k/s, gearchange lever and change drum shafts. Replacing the seal and assembling carefully with plenty of oil on the shafts solved the leak completely. Andy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'm sure 97 includes the split link. Just a thought about your original statement regarding the chain being too short. Before ordering a replacement just make sure the gearbox is standard 16 tooth. If it's been upped to 17 then you will need to compensate by ordering a longer chain.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Assume you have let off the rear chain adjusters, that can be overlooked, also the primary chain/sprocket is matched, as mentioned by Rob. Chain length is the number of links stated for the chain length, plus the split link, as seen in the parts list e.g 97 link chain, plus split link. Not sure if it is possible to fit a primary chain that's too short, which will pull the gear box adjustment forward so you need a longer rear chain.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rob Harknett wrote: Chain length is the number of links stated for the chain length, plus the split link, as seen in the parts list e.g 97 link chain, plus split link.
Really? In the parts list it states that "the prices of front and rear chains include spring connecting links and these are also included in the number of links per chain." Whenever I've bought a chain for any bike it has always come with a split link.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Well spotted Janet, that is what it states in the AMC parts list. In club spares it states, complete. I am sure from other suppliers I have always found the chain to be complete. I still have the habit of ordering a split link. Having been caught out loosing a spring in grass years ago. Then not having a spare spring. So buy a chain and a link. Put the link in your tool box. I once brought a light weight from a lady owner. There was a spilt link fixed on the front brake cable ??? Having small hands, the link held the lever in a bit shortening the reach for the lever. She also always had a spare link.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I've always carried my spare split link threaded through the zipper tag on my jacket.

Regards Mick