Leaking Carburettor

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Tigermoon

Leaking Carburettor

Post by Tigermoon »

I would be most grateful for some advice with regards a leaking carburettor on my Model 30. Petrol is leaking from the circular side cover and also possibly from the main jet cover. Is this likely to be a problem with the internals of the carburettor or might it be solved by replacing the gaskets? Would it be best to use a thin film of gasket cement when replacing the gaskets or leave the stuff alone?
Any assistance much appreciated.
Pete

Re: Leaking Carburettor

Post by 1608 »

Assuming its a monobloc carb ( should be ) then try just replacing the float chamber gasket. Don't overtighten the three fixing screws as this may be the original cause. If the cover has been overtightened then the metal has been distorted or raised slightly around each fixing hole. I fixed this problem on my float chamber covers by taking a light shaving off the cover in the lathe.Also, a very light flat filing across the mating face of the float chamber body to relieve any high points. If you can't do this try just a light filing or a pal with a lathe. I wouldn't use a sealant. As far as I know there is no gasket for the main jet holder only a fiber washer, a replacement should fix it. Again, no sealer.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Adding the detailed replies from your other thread to the equally informative one above, I don't think there's much more to add.
Tigermoon

Post by Tigermoon »

Many thanks for the information.