Competition petrol tank pin strips

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
LynP

Competition petrol tank pin strips

Post by LynP »

Please can anyone tell me the widths of the outer and inner gold pin strips as used on AJS black 2 gallon competition petrol tanks? Thank you for any help.
Rob Harknett

Re: Competition petrol tank pin strips

Post by Rob Harknett »

Probably 3/8" & 1/16" check in archives.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you Rob, I have looked in Tec Articles and found just one illustration which is for a late 1960's tank lining/pin striping, which were given as Outer 5/16" Inner 1/16" and a 5/32" gap. The shape of the pattern was different but I am assuming that the widths and gap might be the same as earlier linings.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Years may differ, what year? Here's where to find answers.
Look in sales cats for shape. http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... _Post-war/
Look tank details for sizes. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tan ... transfers/
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you again Rob I had not found those pages. I have found a lining pattern in them that will look good on my tank.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Sales catalogues can be a bit misleading Rob, for instance the 1963 sales brochure shows the heavyweight tanks with a curved lining rather than the zig-zag pattern. This has been corrected in the 1964 brochure. I think the term "Artist's impression" applies so they can be used as a guide rather than seen as "gospel". I have also seen some period magazine advertisements that show differences to actual machines.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes they did use old or altered old artwork. But they did not alter everything. This is clearly seen in original art work, you can actually see where it has been re painted. Sales cats were also published before some of the models went into production. They do not show early or mid year changes. Unlike prewar days when they had " prelimary " editions and updated editions.
One of my bikes had zig zag lining and knee knocker badges, but the fitting holes on it were not for knee knocker badges. Probably the wrong tank or they used up 62 tank stock first.???.