Valve lifter collar on ex-tappet.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
PFN

Valve lifter collar on ex-tappet.

Post by PFN »

Hi
Any suggestions about assembling the exhaust tappet, tappetguide and collar, before pressing the assembly into the crankcase?
Is it advivable to press them together in the press, or should I use a "whag" with the copper hammer? I'm concerned that I might break the collar in particular. This is for a 1941-G3l
Cheers

Ps. Should I delete these post, when I have the answer I need, or should the post be left for other to benefit from?
Rob Harknett

Re: Valve lifter collar on ex-tappet.

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you looked in the workshop manual?
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
clive

Post by clive »

Ps. Should I delete these post, when I have the answer I need, or should the post be left for other to benefit from?[/quote]

Definitely leave them in place as others may find answers in them when searching. I have only moved tappets and guides in a case by heating it up in the oven, once it's hot enough they seemed to move quite easily. Obviously it has to be a lot hotter than the engine normally runs at.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
PFN

Post by PFN »

Thank you guys.
I pressed the tappet slowly into the guide and collar, simply using my vice. Worked out as it should.
I made the tool described in som maintenance book in order to remove tappet guides from crankcase, and I did use heat too. I have build a fixture to keep the cranckcase upright and level, in order to press the new guides in. I will use heat here also.
Thank you Rob for the link to the manual. Not sure that I have this one.
Cheers.