Heavyweight and lightweight rocker arms

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

Heavyweight and lightweight rocker arms

Post by Andy51 »

Some years ago I bought a single rocker box for spares at an autojumble, it cost me a fiver as I recall, thinking it was for a heavyweight (I didn't know much in those days). I found out last night that it was in fact from a G2. During my 18S rebuild about 10 years ago I may (can't remember that far back!) have swapped the valve side rocker arms, as they have been loosened. However, the pushrod side rocker arms have not been disturbed. I know the lightweight pushrod side rocker arms are shorter than those of the heavyweight engines, but what about the valve side arms? How can I identify which is which? What are the dimensions? Does it matter, or should I take down the 18S rocker box to check? Cheers, Andy
clive

Re: Heavyweight and lightweight rocker arms

Post by clive »

perhaps you should have added..............what is the meaning of life? The lightweight rocker arms are a mod recommended for heavyweight comp engines as the shorter rocker arms give a higher/quicker lift so they must work with the heavyweight engine. If the engine you have run for 10 years actually works, does not sound like there are bits hitting others they should not I suggest you find something else to worry about. :lol:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Clive, thanks for your answer. I know that the lightweight pushrod end rocker arm is a well known tuning tip for heavyweight singles, with its shorter length in conjunction with the longer heavyweight arm giving higher lift, but if the shorter arms are fitted to the valve side then I would get lower lift and distorted geometry. That's why I need dimensions so I can check which valve side rocker arms I have NOT fitted, only then would I need to dismantle the rocker box if the wrong ones were fitted. Andy
raffles

Post by raffles »

As Clive says if it aint broke etc
Tony