Zenor ? Rectifier? or a short any ideas?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Ian5913

Post by Ian5913 »

My bike lost power was popping if I turned the lights on the engine died all the small bulbs have blown. eventually the main fuse 25a blew and the engine stopped.The battery however is charged and not boiled or flat. The bulbs have been replaced could the fault lie in the zenor or rectifier what would the symptoms be if one of these had failed I'm reluctant to start it until I find a fault! can you help Please.
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

Roughly speaking it sounds as if you have a dead short somewhere if your bike runs well without the lights on and blows the bulbs and fuse when they are turned on. I think I'd start off looking for a bare wire in the lighting circuit. I suspect it's only the lighting cicuit that is at fault if the bike runs well and the battery charges normally in daylight running. Best of luck, Bob PS It's often helpful to put in the make and model of bike in a query.
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

Thankyou The bike was a 350 ajs with 12v Lucas lighting. I think I have possibly solved the problem. I had just before the problem started i had ridden down an un made road and think this may have blown a bulb which in turn caused the filament to make contact with the metal bulb shell and as you said cause a direct short. As I only found this and the fact that the rotor nut was off the alternator with no damage to the wiring. Time will tell but all seems well for the minute! Thanks (And I didn't mean to miss out the bike type sorry)