Exhaust manifold

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mikeydpippin

Exhaust manifold

Post by mikeydpippin »

Can someone give me an idea on what to use to swage the exhaust pipe where it enters the cylinder head, and if I need to heat the end of the exhaust.
I,ve tried but failed so far and no amount of exhaust paste seems to stop it popping out during a decent run, (I,m not giving it a lot of welly to blow the exhaust out the head).

Also, on return from a good run and the engine turned off there seems to bit a lot of smoke rising from the engine until it cools is there a cure for this, as I don't get the same problems with the other Matchless G3ls.
1958 Matchless G3ls Alternator, 12v ignition.
Mike
Rob Harknett

Re: Exhaust manifold

Post by Rob Harknett »

If the exhaust is popping out the head, it must be coming loose on the fitting.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Forget the bodges for now and try a bit of sequential assembly, if you haven't already done so ;)

Take off the complete exhaust system and separate the pipe from the silencer - fit the pipe into the head, it should go in about 1 1/2" - ensuring the pipe stays fully into the head, (put a bit of tape on to indicate), fit the pipe to the stay and tighten fully - fit the silencer to the pipe and tighten - fit the silencer to the frame and tighten, (you may need to adjust the position of the silencer on the pipe for a perfect alignment at the frame but make sure the joint between the silencer and pipe is fully tightened before attaching the silencer to the frame).

Give that a go.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

No assembly arrangement is going to work if the pipe has been chattering in and out of the head, although I totally agree with the process. The old advice was to use a carrot shaped hard wood bung slightly larger than the pipe bore and wack it in to spread the pipe. I have a metal one I have used for years, however I have also used an old wheel spindle, rammed down the pipe and then ground round and round. What you are aiming to do is open out the pipe until the fit is difficult into the head. If I can I go a bit too far and then gently dress back the leading edge with a hammer. This holds it all in place even when you open it up.

smoking engine on stopping suggests an oil leak up high so the engine is misted. I recently found I had a small gap in the tappet inspection cover rubber seal which was allowing a gentle mist to cover the engine. Also look at the rocker cover gasket, the pushrod tube top gasket and the oil supply to the rockers for leaks
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Clive

Sorry but I have to disagree - if the pipe is fully home in the head and the system attachment points at the stay, pipe to silencer, and silencer to frame are secure the pipe cannot come out of the head, rattle / leak yes but not dislodge.

Regards Mick
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

A squirt of silicon sealant will stop it rattling and leaking
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks for the replies Chaps, will try all of the above, I have been using Eap5 exhaust paste, maybe I will try silicon, would this be ok?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p73415? ... 0wodQXAC_Q
Mike
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That would be perfect!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Oops!
Last edited by dave16mct on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Dave. 👍🙏
Mike