New member/ownership

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Tigermoon

New member/ownership

Post by Tigermoon »

I have recently purchased a 1958 AJS Model 30, am new to the British bike scene, and would much appreciate some basic but important advice:-

1. What is the best method of starting the bike, and how is the engine turned off with no key?
2. An online copy of the workshop manual states SAE 50 engine oil for a hot country and SAE 30 for a cold country. What is best for the UK? Would a modern classic 20/50 oil do instead?
3. What is wet-sumping please? My first copy of 'Jampot' suggests an antisumping tap can be fitted. Is this related and is it recommended?

Many thanks for any advice offered, it will be much appreciated.
Rob Harknett

Re: New member/ownership

Post by Rob Harknett »

Straight 30 SAE Winter 50 SAE summer. As most of our riding is done during the warmer months of the year, I use 50 SAE all the time. If you use a multigrade detergent oil, this can loosen sludge and block oil ways. So unless you have dismantled and cleaned the engine, best stick with straight oil. The sumps retains the correct oil level. When not in use, oil may drain back into the sump. This is called wet sumping. If there is too much oil in the sump, it may prove difficult to start the bike. The plug could oil up. If there is excess oil in the sump , the engine will smoke a lot before the excess oil is returned back to the tank. Starting the engine. If your bike is mag ignition you will have no key. The engine may just stop instead of keep ticking over. If not just stall it. You could fit a kill button ( horn button will do ) this just earths the mag to kill the spark. To Start the engine. If you have an advance/ retard lever, set it mid way. Turn on the petrol RH tap. LH is reserve tap. Flood the carb using the float tickler. Petrol will drip or you may get a wet finger tip, to know the float chamber is full with petrol. Give the bike a good hard kick. Easier if the bike is on the centre stand. If it kicks back, retard the AR lever a bit more. Once started and warmed up, fully advance the AR lever. An owner with a bike like yours will come along with hints on starting.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you thought about joining the club? There's a section that may be near you, I believe meets at Driffield
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Your twin will run happily on classic 20/50 form Halfords/Millers etc. It would be best to fit a spin-on filter (Norton commando type) in the return line. Your mag should have a button on the end cap which stops the motor. Best to join the club!
Dave
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I think he must have already joined the club as he has had his first copy of the Jampot. Cheers. Bruce.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Peter

Welcome to the club and forum, the 600 is a very sweet capable bike you are sure to enjoy it.

To start my 1957 one I flood the carburettor, and give a purposeful kick with a bit of throttle, (I should really retard the ignition about ½ of its travel but I find that unnecessary) they are all different and yours may respond differently.

If you do not have the button on the end cap to stop the engine there should be somewhere for a cable to be taken from it which is earthed (like a horn button) to stop the engine

There are many opinions on oil, I use 20/50 multigrade in my twins and monograde in my singles, its personal choice in the end or following someone's advice who you have learnt to trust. I would however steer clear of the modern synthetic oils they make the engine feel very harsh in my opinion, others may advise to the contrary.

Others have covered what wet sumping is, there are almost as many views about taps as there are about oil, it is probably best to wait and see if it is an issue to you first before you decide what to do.
Tigermoon

Post by Tigermoon »

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated, they have helped me immensely. i look forward to getting the bike on the road and enjoying the summer.