Matchless AJS Fuel Tank Mounts

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
alanengineer

Re: Matchless AJS Fuel Tank Mounts

Post by alanengineer »

I once went to buy a Matchess that was said to be 'totally origional'. The petrol tank on the 650 twin was one off a lightweight with all sorts of metal straps holding it down. But thats how the vendor tells me it left the factory.yeh yeh and i didnt buy it.

A photo would help a lot now its been discussed this much.
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Ok, so have taken a few measurements of my front chassis lugs and they measure about five inches on the original centres. They appear to have been filed out a good 1/4 or more inches out from that. Now am pretty sure that the five inch lug centres are correct as I contacted a guy selling a 1950 AJS frame and asked if he could measure his and it was five inches centre to centre.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

So assuming that the Matchless and AJS mounting lugs are the same, then I can assume the fuel tank may not be correct.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

G15 Roy wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote: The frame has been dated.
I think you will find this has only been dated by using the online system where the person enters the frame number they have this is not 100% as no photo has been seen of the number.

Very true, sometimes a frame also needs an expert eye for early post war era. As a WD G3L could have the same frame number as an early post war frame. The sweep back lugs were the same on WD and early post war. So could be wrong tank or frame. There is a clue near the front tank lugs that could perhaps confirm WD or post war frame. ( not seen in the picture ) It may be a good idea to check the frame with the club dating officer. Unless of cause the 5" centres are correct and your tank does not have 5" centres.
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

It may be a good idea to check the frame with the club dating officer

I thought I had done that Rob. I paid 5 pounds for the basic info service. That gave me a model 49/18 for the frame number I quoted. Can I trust what I've been told?

There is a clue near the front tank lugs that could perhaps confirm WD or post war frame

What would that clue be Rob?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

WD Matchless numbers stopped, then numbers re started post war. The number your put in was dated as a post frame. The frame could had been a WD frame, The system would not know if your frame WD. Pictures of your frame and tank may help, the experts here may spot if your frame or tank was not 1949.
clive

Post by clive »

Have you measured the centre's on your tank? 5 inch centre is what my 1950 frame has, measured today as the tank was off. It's tight getting it all to line up.i ask about the measurement of the centre's on your tank because I have been told that a friend pressurised a tank to check for leaks, only to find that it flexed outwards. The other alternative is that the holes were filled and wrongly drilled after the thread had gone. I have an alloy tank fitted to one bike where the front tank mounts were "mended" but an inch too far forward
Oh and my 49 G80 had lugs which were horizontal rather than v shape
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

No Clive, I did not measure the hole spacing in the tank but I know the bolt spacing on my tank is wider than five inches since the lugs have been filed out to fit it.
The bike is complete so taking a good photo of the frame is not going to happen unless I do a full strip down. I know a local guy who has been building a 1950 g3ls (which I used to own as a young lad) so will compare my tank with his to see if its the same. I will a take photo of my fuel tank base and side view over the weekend. Thanks