Crank shaft timing pinion

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Re: Crank shaft timing pinion

Post by 56G80S »

Clive

You've got me worried now, it appears either my memory getting worse or my two crankcase halves don't match!

But I don't doubt what you've said. Mine's a 56 stamped on the cases but registered in 57.

Rob, I've read before your helpful explanation of the relationship between calendar and model years, no need to repeat it. I'll look it up on a search.

Johnny B
Last edited by 56G80S on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Me, I'm not worried. But I am cautious.

Clive has kindly agreed to lend me his puller: Now it could be that my ageing eyesight has failed to spot that the timing pinion can pass through the bush, but if I take the pinion off first nuffink gets broke. I might have wasted a week or two (I'm working in Manchester this coming week so may not be able to do much till next weekend) But I won't have buggered up the crank cases.

To be honest I was considering cutting the pinion off as the pinion is about 25 quid that would be better than cracking the timing side crank case trying to pull the pinion through a hole that may or may not be big enough.
Do my cases match? Dunno but the cylinder base gasket surface is level and the oil pipe fittings are unbroken. :D

To my delight it seems I can get the big end replaced by a local firm "Hamlins Bridgwater" as the bloke I spoke to has an AMC bike and has done them before. :beer:
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
clive

Post by clive »

Well you have both got me wondering if I am remembering wrongly so I went back to the good old archives and checked the spares lists. The timing side axle changed from a thinner one with a thinner bush in 1954 and the axle with a thicker shaft and hence larger bush was still being used up to and I think beyond 1958 but I stopped looking then. Someone else put me out of my misery and confirm that this post 54 shaft can be removed with the small gear still attached enabling you to split the crankcases without bothering to remove the small timing pinion. :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
sjr

Post by sjr »

Yes it can, I've done it. ('55 bike)
clive

Post by clive »

Thanks so have but I thought my memory was going!
clive
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Clive is of course correct and I need stronger glasses. The puller would not fit between the pinion and the case so I went for it and separated the cases.............and it pulled the bush out of the case. The pinion should pass through the bush it just decided not to. Never mind a bit of bearing fit should rectify that.

The crank is at Hamlins engineering in Bridgwater they are gonna fit me new big end and make and fit a small end bush as they are out of stock. While I waited they honed the barrel and measured that and the new +60 piston and declared it to be fine. The barrel was honed and new rings fitted by the previous incompetent and I have the receipt for his new standard rings. This fits the pattern of his previous work.

The list so far: standard rings in +60 bore, head gasket under barrel, base gasket under head. oil feed to head fitted at 45 degree angle and nut just caught on one thread. 3 barrel nuts loose one stripped. needle valve in float chamber upside down. :rofl:

It ran, I don't know how, but it ran, it didn't smoke or make much noise. This may possibly be due to the suspicious smell of hypoid gear oil to the 'orrible stuff I drained out of it.

If I may Clive I'll hang on to the puller till I get the crank back just in case the pinion gets damaged............The way things are going so far?

Edith is certainly living up to her namesake :D
clive

Post by clive »

Hang on to it for a bit. But concerned to hear it pulled the timing side bush out. They are supposed to be fitted with the case heated and then a small pin fitted to stop it rotating. If it came out cold it may need to be made oversize as it sounds as though it was loose in the case.
You might get away with bearing fit depending on how loose but it definitely needs something to stop it rotating in the case. They originally had a small pin which fitted in a groove in the side of the bush and into a hole in the case. If the bush does rotate the oil pump gradually grinds the bush away giving the oil a perplexing bronze tinge ( yet another of my investigations in earlier years!)
clive
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Yeah thanks Clive, I found the pin and can see where it was. The bush won't push back in by hand with the case cold. I'll try it with the case hot and the bush straight out of the freezer. If that still gives an interference fit it should be ok with bearing fit. I may use a bigger pin to stop that coming loose.
clive

Post by clive »

sounds like a good plan
clive
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I've got me bits back and now to reassemble the engine. But Bearing in mind the number of wrongly assembled parts so far I'm being careful. There is according to the parts list a spacer between the two ball bearings on the drive side of the crankshaft. I have a large washer there but it looks as though its outer diameter may be too big and would prevent oil getting to the outer bearing.
The manual I have shows two washers but does not clearly show where they go.
The spares scheme lists three washers but is that for different years ?

Your thoughts and experience please.