Re-registering a bike

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Fish91

Re: Re-registering a bike

Post by Fish91 »

Hi Alf,
Yea it looks like a fair bit of work, talk about jumping in at the deep end. Only issue is that i was the highest bidder, the seller told me that it would be fairly simple to register doing through the club, however this advice is looking to be wrong.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I see you are now called Leon Sticks.
If you got the name Fish Sticks in the school playground, I think you will find we would prefer you use your correct name. We have had very respected members, with a nickname's like " Chopper " But his real name was known. If you are serious about getting the bike, be serious with us. We can then help you. If you are Fish Sticks to all your mates fine. We can get to know you by that name. Consider joining the club, be serious, we have no time to waste on jokers, which you came across as being one of. The bike will be 1958 of later. The club dating officer could help in dating it correctly. So if you are really serious about getting the little AJS, do so, join us and you will get the help you need.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

You have just brought yourself a big can of worms. Having said that, the people that ride them always seem very happy with them. As for restoring one, Join the club, because you will be asking a lot of questions and asking for lots of parts. Some of the parts are hard to get hold of and others are easy to get. Information on them is really poor.
Take loads of photos as you strip it down and then take some more and keep everything in order of the way it came off the bike. It has loads of spacers everywhere and all the parts book says is spacer. If you put them all in a bucket, you wont know one from the other.
Best of luck and enjoy
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Leon, as I understand it , you can get a dating certificate from the club, you have to supply the frame and other related numbers and I belive than you can apply for an age related registration from DVLA. No doubt some one will correct me if I am wrong.

I think it will be very worth while to join the club, discount spares and also lot's of help on't forum. As a guest you only get a limited time on't forum. finding your local section will be good too.

As you start to 'get into' your project take lots of notes and photo's, the memory will play tricks with you , when you get to the build stage!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Fish91

Post by Fish91 »

Rob, my name has been edited on my profile but I generally go by the name of Fish.

Alan, I see I've not bought the best of bikes out there however I wanted a project and a challenge and this is probably going to be as tough as it gets. Going to see what I can salvage from what's on there and then set about getting the frame repainted, wheels rebuilt and the most difficult bit I can imagine to source will be parts for the front forks.... will see how things go. I did get your PM however I cannot reply just yet, let me get my membership sorted.

Alf again, thanks for the advice, quite looking forward to this, hopefully it can remain on the old plate!
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Hi Fish
their are a lot worse bikes out there and yours is in better condition than i normally buy. Lightweight fork parts arnt normally a problem and wheels are easy
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

O.K. Fish, Fishy or whatever you want to be called lets all calm down and get this into perspective. yes you have a silly forum name but there have been worse.
I looked at your purchase and although it might not have been one for me well done, If you treat this forum with a little respect it will be very good to you, this is probably the best club for assistance and advise you will find and I, belong to many one make clubs, I without deriding any of them state this fact.
So to start, get the thing home and assess, take pictures of it all and with a small digital camera they do not need to be wanting, for parts you require advertise on here, interrogate ebay daily, think laterally, early lightweights had the same/similar forks, brakes, wheels, and some frame parts as the 2 stroke James and Francis barnet, Norton jubilee's were also in this catagory,.
Use the club spares and speak with the chap who runs AMC spares, very helpful and has items the club cannot supply, enjoy your journey with the bike, it will be an achievement in the end and you will be proud to say 'I did this'.
do not worry about the registration number if it is on the computer you may be able to retrieve it, if it is not and you cannot prove that number belongs to the machine don't worry, this clubs dating officer will give you a dating certificate which will be accepted by the DVLA amd you will get an age related plate.
In closing all I would say is don't be to flippant with those who post on here, they are very knowledgeable and will assist you but you must respect their knowledge and of course ageing years, [should I say that?] which does of course, make all of us a little short at times.
Very good luck with your project
kind regards
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

I don't think Leon has been flippant or not serious, au contraire, he has been very respectful in the face of a decidedly frosty reception. As for having a silly username, nobody would have dared say that to Biscuit wwould they?
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

I agree Pop' mine's just as bad and it sometimes gets changed to 'soapbox' :rofl:
Anyway Fish/Leon if you use the search button you may well find by entering G2 you will find some useful stuff (that's if search works for a guest??)
I was looking at the pictures of the bike again and some hard to find stuff is at least there, might not be to horrendous once it's stripped and pieces cleaned up.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
clive

Post by clive »

poplargreg wrote:I don't think Leon has been flippant or not serious, au contraire, he has been very respectful in the face of a decidedly frosty reception. As for having a silly username, nobody would have dared say that to Biscuit wwould they?
I am glad that Fish has stuck with the forum however I would explain the situation my original comment as follows:-
A new guest member logs into the site and asks how to register a bike for which he has no papers, his user name like many is silly, but when his profile was accessed that also only threw up his name as Fish Sticks living in London.
Given the number of scammers there are around I did not wish to help. Since then Fish has told us his name, updated his profile and explained his purchase and I wish him well.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix