Inheritance

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mushman71

Inheritance

Post by Mushman71 »

Hello all'

I'm hoping some nice person/people can point me in the right direction/order of which to sort things out.

I've recently inherited my dads 1957 G80, which has been tucked away in the garage for the last 7/8 (at least) years. Before that it was run up and down the road a couple of time a year until it died one year and he never got round to getting it going again. However the advice I'd like isn't with the getting it going again.....yet!!

The advice i'd like is with the paperwork, as in it hasn't been registered in 'modern times', I do have a V5 dated 'rev Jan 76' in my dads name, so would like to know the process, if possible, to getting the bike registered with a new V5C doc and would it be likely to keep the original reg number (256 BPP)?

Many thanks in advance, and I am planning to bring biscuits on the 5th Feb :D
ajscomboman

Re: Inheritance

Post by ajscomboman »

Neil provided you bring the biscuits I'll make sure that the dating officer is there for you to talk to. :D
DM2

Post by DM2 »

Save the expense of the biscuits.

I think you should have no trouble sending the old V5 to DVLA to get it put in your name, then you'll be issued with the new V5C.

I spoke to DVLA recently when dealing with a friends bikes for his wife, and was told to include a covering letter to explain why the registered keeper could not sign the V5.

Any concerns just ring DVLA and they should confirm this.
Last edited by DM2 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Surely you will have no problems, as you do have a V5, the details are at Swansea. You do need to update it so it appears in your name. The new document will be the current V5C. Try sending it to Swansea with a covering letter asking for the name to be changed to yours. Also explain the circumstances as to how you became the new owner.
Seems there was two us typing with the same feelings, at the same time.
Mushman71

Post by Mushman71 »

Thanks for you comments guys, I will be wandering down to the classic show in a couple of weeks, and I don't think there is a great rush to sort it at the moment as I'll be waiting until the garage has been cleared a bit and it gets warmer before I get started on it.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

get the new registered keeper sorted asap, one less hassle to worry about,it should not be a problem as Rob says it will be on the computer and you don't need to be in a cold garage to do so. kind regards
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

DM2 wrote:Save the expense of the biscuits.

I think you should have no trouble sending the old V5 to DVLA to get it put in your name, then you'll be issued with the new V5C.

I spoke to DVLA recently when dealing with a friends bikes for his wife, and was told to include a covering letter to explain why the registered keeper could not sign the V5.

It is not just a matter of it being unsigned the number is not on the DVLA system so you will need to use the V765 scheme so the Biscuits are required ;) Look forward to seeing you.
Roy
Janet

Post by Janet »

Welcome to the club.
Mushman71 wrote: I don't think there is a great rush to sort it at the moment as I'll be waiting until the garage has been cleared a bit and it gets warmer before I get started on it.
Are you new to this old bike lark? The usual thing is to keep going out to inspect the bike, and to poke about with things. The frequency of visits increases as the compulsion builds up until you cannot fight against the urge to just have a little tinker for a few minutes. In no time at all, clearing the garage is forgotten and the work commences in earnest until friends and relatives start asking "Whatever happened to......................?" Then you know you're hooked. :lol:
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Mushman71 wrote: I'll be waiting until the garage has been cleared a bit and it gets warmer before I get started on it.
Garage!! luxury! All my work is done outside and often in the cold as summer is for riding where possible. We have all gone soft... how many of our parents had a garage when we were young or even allowed us to us it if they did? I know mine didn't...
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

G15 Roy wrote:
DM2 wrote:Save the expense of the biscuits.

It is not just a matter of it being unsigned the number is not on the DVLA system so you will need to use the V765 scheme so the Biscuits are required ;) Look forward to seeing you.
It sounds like you have had Roy check the number for you. Which is quite easy to do, just to see if the bike is on the Swansea data base. The number should appear even if you still only have a V5. This could only mean the number has been sold off ?? I cannot think of any other reason. I checked two of my bikes that only have a V5 are on the Swansea data base. https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla Both were on the system.
I also checked on http://www.cardatachecks.co.uk/ I did not get a result saying they were listed. So do not use them, perhaps also, any other non Government website, you will not get a result. You must use the gov. Swansea website to see if your V5 is still valid. So all those that have been or are using cardatachecks don't. Use only the official gov. websites to check.