tight nuts

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Re: tight nuts

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's a new one - used freezing spays and C02 many times to remove bearings etc from cases but never to ease a seized nut. It will make the nut contract even tighter - might break the bond on warming up but I wouldn't waste money on it.

Oxy acetylene is my 'weapon of choice' but I appreciate that's a large outlay for one task.

Regards Mick
bitza

Post by bitza »

Could try heat using small butane hand torch, cheap and cheerful and enough gas to get the job done,
Buy at. B& Q, or Wickes, etc.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Mick D wrote:Hi

That's a new one - used freezing spays and C02 many times to remove bearings etc from cases but never to ease a seized nut. It will make the nut contract even tighter - might break the bond on warming up but I wouldn't waste money on it.

Oxy acetylene is my 'weapon of choice' but I appreciate that's a large outlay for one task.

Regards Mick
Well I "wasted" some money on it and it has got me out of trouble a few times.

When you heat up a nut you heat up the stud as well so they both expand together. This results in a minute lateral movement on the threads which is sometimes enough to free them or create enough space for some penetrating oil to seep in.
When using a freeze spray the nut and stud contract together but the effect is the same.
Heat is my first choice but if space is too restricted or in a potentially hazardous situation then freeze spray is worth a shot.

It's made by Loctite.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
hunter

Post by hunter »

Hi all,
Here we are thanking you all again.
Have located heat gun to borrow, collecting tomorrow
and some instruction on how to use.
Like the idea of freeze spraying but never heard of it before
so will look into that one.Will keep you posted.
Cheers Martyn.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've used a freeze spary, borrowed a can from garage that services the Rover, it worked a treat.

Worth giving a go.

Johnny B
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

I borrowed one years ago from an instrument technician when looking for an electrical fault on a radio. Used it to treat a wart and overdid it -localised frostbite - very painful!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Jim

Sorry if my reply sounded a little flippant :oops:

When you use heat on a nut the nut is the first item to feel the effect and it will expand quicker than the threaded item its attached to, the more localised and intense the heat is the better the effect - hence my preference for oxy A (but a good pin point propane torch is a close contender).

When a freezing spray is used its rather difficult to freeze the threaded component without freezing the nut too - therefore the differential expansion effect is reduced.

Fair play if freezing has worked for you and others, but it would not be my first choice.

Regards Mick
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

No problems Mick.

Freeze spray is not my first choice either and I would go for heat if I can. I do not have oxy but I have a tiny propane torch which has been useful. There are small pen size blowlamps which are available which run on lighter fuel - obviously not as hot as oxy but may be ok if space is tight.
If all else fails the freeze spray is definitely worth a shot before resorting to drills, chisels and Dremels.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
hunter

Post by hunter »

Hi all.
Update on previous post.
Nuts freed or studs loosened but manifold stuck as yet.
Update on reg. no. on computer @ dvla correct form filled in
new v5 on its way.
Cheers
Martyn
sjr

Post by sjr »

Just persevere, alternating heat and cold and soaking it with plenty of Plus Gas or other releasing agent in the interim. It will come eventually.