Lock stop arrangement on a Lightweight

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
clanger9

Lock stop arrangement on a Lightweight

Post by clanger9 »

How are the lock stops supposed to be arranged on a Lightweight (with Teledraulic forks)? Are there any??

On mine, there's a triangular part of the bottom yoke that "sort of" hits the downtube. This appears to limit the lock correctly. However, it's not very elegant.

There are two unused holes in the bottom yoke. Is there some sort of lock stop that fits in here? There's nothing shown in the manual - the only photo of the forks seems to show that these holes are unused (?)

Any ideas?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ajscomboman

Re: Lock stop arrangement on a Lightweight

Post by ajscomboman »

That is the factory arrangement, crude but it works if you don't mind losing paint off the frame.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

On the heavyweights it is for the anti theft device (see page 90):

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... models.pdf
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Ah, so that's what the holes are for! (Illustration 51). Thanks for the info.

I think I need to fit a better lock stop than the factory arrangement as my bike has clip-ons and a custom tank and needs the lock reducing slightly. The PO did this by bending the tangs upwards, which is even worse than the factory arrangement. I'm replacing the bottom yoke with a non-mangled one and I don't want to vandalise it...

I guess I could improvise with a couple of threaded blocks like these:

Does anyone know what these things are called?
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clanger9 wrote:Ah, so that's what the holes are for! (Illustration 51). Thanks for the info.

I think I need to fit a better lock stop than the factory arrangement as my bike has clip-ons and a custom tank and needs the lock reducing slightly. The PO did this by bending the tangs upwards, which is even worse than the factory arrangement. I'm replacing the bottom yoke with a non-mangled one and I don't want to vandalise it...

I guess I could improvise with a couple of threaded blocks like these:

Does anyone know what these things are called?
I don't know except some sort of eye bolt I guessed. So I decided to check on Eye bolt types. I soon discovered a type I want for my iron gate hinges. That are worn. So I am now off the measure up and order some. Maybe you could search eye bolts on e bay and get lucky finding something you could use.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think if you search 'solid rod end' you'll find plenty of options.

Regards Mick
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Good idea Rob! :beer:
"Eye Bolt" came up with the necessary on fleabay:

A pair of those should be sturdy enough and I can put an M6 Allen bolt through to provide the adjustment...

PS: Mick's right, "solid rod end" is what I'm after (eBay doesn't understand this term, but UK suppliers do...)
1993 Ducati 750SS
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Clanger, I made a couple of neat lockstops bent up from 1/8 steel plate, fastened to the existing 'ears' with a 5/16 CEI bolt (just run a tap through the hole, it's about the right size). The stops use a plastic number plate screw to abut the frame, giving adjustment and a softish contact point, in one go. The stops are small, neat, easy to make and prevent the bars hitting the tank. A picture paints a 1000 words so PM me if interested and I'll send a couple in a few days. Andy
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

clanger9 wrote:How are the lock stops supposed to be arranged on a Lightweight (with Teledraulic forks)? Are there any??

On mine, there's a triangular part of the bottom yoke that "sort of" hits the downtube. This appears to limit the lock correctly. However, it's not very elegant.

There are two unused holes in the bottom yoke. Is there some sort of lock stop that fits in here? There's nothing shown in the manual - the only photo of the forks seems to show that these holes are unused (?)

Any ideas?
The holes are for a steering lock bar 018691 (Locking bar for fork crown. Secures forks into locked position when bike is left unattended. Fits all 1953-1963 road models with hole in bottom yoke lock-stops.) I have one and as far as I can see it isn't very user friendly as you have to either put a bolt and nut or small padlock through the bar/hole in the yoke to fit the bar which locks the forks in full lock one way or the other. Probably ok if the bike is to be left for a long period. Will try to find mine and take a picture of it. The lock stop is as you have described
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I was able to make a set of adjustable lock stops quite easily: the holes in the yoke were exactly the right size to take an M8 tap, so I was able to fit the eye bolts in an unobtrusive way. As long as everything is done up nice & tight, they should hopefully work fine...
IMG_0479.jpg
IMG_0482.jpg
IMG_0484.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1993 Ducati 750SS