16M Rockerbox & head torque settings

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
segt

Post by segt »

Good Morning all,
Can somebody give torque settings for rockerbox and cylinder head (iron) for my 1950 16M AJS single. Is it necessary to loctite the rockerbox bolts as they already have a plain washer or is there a better method. Many thanks Peter Thorpe

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Hi Peter
35ft/lbs for the head bolts. It sounds high but is correct. After initial tightening run the engine till at working temperature then allow to go COLD. Recheck the torque and of you go! Recheck it after ten miles, 100 miles, 500 miles, 1000miles and thereafter whenevr you service the bike and you can't go wrong

Rocker box bolts should have loctite but be careful not to overtighten them. Most people do and so crack the rocker box. I believe 9ft/lbs is quoted somewhere but a loose hand tight is fine.

Enjoy the bike, oh, and buy a manual. They are very helpful and avoid many a disaster.

Lawrence [}:)]
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Lawrence you have me confused, (easy at my age!) Can you define 'loose hand tight' . 36-40 FtLbs is given in the manual for head bolts, I tighten them to 40 and then give them an extra tweak with a ring spanner. Never had to check them afterwards, considering you have to remove the rocker box to get at the head bolts - life's to short!

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Peter, I would recommend you follow Alan. He is much more experienced than me. The 35ft/lbs comes from F. Neill. I did not check the AMC manual. My Haycraft book just says do them up tight!

Interestingly my brother's model 16 was always blowing head gaskets and I thought it was because it had the wrong head (500cc) fitted. In the 'box of bits' there were two heads to choose from and I presumed that we had chosen the wrong one. Perhaps it was too little torque on the bolts? They certainly always took a little more tightening on each check, as indeed have my 31csrs.

Loose hand tight is a well known Irish setting. Not too loose and not too tight[:I][:I][:I] What I meant was tighten until they start to get tight but don't overdo it. Gosh, you really are picky Alan! [:D] (only joking!!!)

Lawrence [}:)]
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I have to be picky to live up to Stinkies description.

segt

Post by segt »

Many thanks for the advice. Which workshop manual is the best buy for me as I own both a 16M & G3L (candlestick suspension) both are 1950 with iron heads.
Cheers Peter

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Pickier is the word you were searching for Lawrence[:D]
Regards
Stinky[;)]

Chemists do it with test tubes
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Peter, the manual from the club, part No. 900585, covers your models, for greater scope get the photo copies, Instruction manual and spares list from Bruce Main-Smith