Wont Start When Hot (Magneto?)

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Groily

Re: Wont Start When Hot (Magneto?)

Post by Groily »

Chances are, Russell, that the thing could still produce a spark despite a break in the HT coil - but it will only get worse. A condenser might well get things running again, for a while at least. Most coils with a small break will spark under test (requiring a higher low tension current than the maker's intended), some of them do it quite well - but the problem is the break gets longer as the internal arcing eats away at things. If you want to try, then I suggest you re-insulate the exposed bit of the HT spike, for which araldite could serve as it has good dielectric strength. Varnish alone probably won't do, and bits of insulating tape etc will come adrift. Without something, the spark may well have the energy to jump to the brass end cheek of the armature, or any other metallic bit in reach. 'Reach' being within about 7mm or more if the sparks are still quite strong.
Better, though, to go for the rewind or the exchange armature - but it all depends how many times you feel like taking the thing apart!
Bill
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Followed this with interest, as hot starting seems to be an issue with quite a number of peeps that I meet on my travels....and sometimes my G80. Am I not correct in saying that the Club Spares scheme is now doing exchange stuff for mags and dynamos?
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
clive

Post by clive »

crawsue wrote:.......Am I not correct in saying that the Club Spares scheme is now doing exchange stuff for mags and dynamos?
yes you are
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Janet

Post by Janet »

clive wrote:
crawsue wrote:.......Am I not correct in saying that the Club Spares scheme is now doing exchange stuff for mags and dynamos?
yes you are
Is that "Yes, you are not correct" or "yes you are correct"?
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Yes as in Yes you are correct - see link below ...
http://www.jampot-spares.com/store/come ... tegory=122
Sam
clive

Post by clive »

Janet from the Learners Dictionary
Quick explanation
“Aren't I?” is commonly used and very acceptable in informal language. “Am I not?” is grammatical, but extremely formal, so in most contexts, “aren't I?” is the preferred choice. The only exception is when you are writing a formal letter or an academic paper, and then you can either use “am I not?,” or even better, restructure the sentence to avoid using either of these forms.

So correctly used on this the most formal of forums but perhaps "Aren't I correct" would have been easier to understand when I said yes. :twisted:
clive
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

A'in't I
Indubitably my dear boy,where by we, the members are in the process of divining answers to the inherent problems of the motorcycle engine and the associated systems running in conjunction with the engine, must of course on a forum of such lofty values and principals such as our forum, of course must attain the pinnicle of perfection in the use of the English language init!

Just thought I would see how far I could make a sentance stretch :rofl:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
clive

Post by clive »

saltbox alf wrote: Just thought I would see how far I could make a sentance stretch :rofl:
Sorry Alan spelling mistek
clive
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Oh no!!!!!!! is that 100 lines Mr Gove?
Sorry can't help it , I found out only some years ago I be dyslexic, explains a lot of tough times at school :headbang:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

bunners wrote:Russell (Joker Bones) I see you live in Dorset, anywhere near the Isle of Purbeck? or better still Langton Matravers? there is a guy there you does a magneto service.... His name is Dave Fisher. I have his address if you want but here is the phone number for starters.
Groily wrote:Better, though, to go for the rewind or the exchange armature - but it all depends how many times you feel like taking the thing apart!
In the end, decided to go for an exchange armature so gave Dave Fisher a ring.... He said an exchange was available, only thing was I didn't tell him it was an early K2F with a 15mm diameter shaft. It turned out later he only had an 18mm diameter available for an exchange, so I drove over to Langton and left my armature with him for a rewind.... Trouble is there was a box full of them waiting to be done ahead of mine. so looks like I am in for a bit of a wait.

Russell