Which tap is reserve

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
willowbedone

Which tap is reserve

Post by willowbedone »

Help please both my bikes have two petrol taps Which side is the reserve tap left or right 1956 g 80 and 1960 g12
Thanks Ian
Rob Harknett

Re: Which tap is reserve

Post by Rob Harknett »

See your Instruction book. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
Read section "Driving" / Fuel supply You will note, use R/H side tap. The left hand side of the tank traps fuel. So if you run out of petrol, then use the L/H Reserve tap you may have enough fuel to reach a garage. This will not apply if the L/H & R/H taps have been linked so you only have one tap. If any of your bike have this, fit two taps. Link a pipe from each tap to a T piece, then on the bottom leg of the T, take a single pipe to the float chamber. This also enables you to just turn off both taps. Undo the pipes, to remove the tank without draining it. There is a "Reserve " transfer to go on the tank just above the tap. Has your bike got one?
Janet

Post by Janet »

My simple philosophy is that the left hand can reach down to turn on a tap while the right hand remains on the throttle. Therefore, my reserve tap is the left one.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Left hand, there is a larger volume of fuel on that side of the frame tunnel.
clive

Post by clive »

All these explanations and I thought it was as simple as the side you can see when you take the petrol cap off is the main one. Otherwise there will always seem to be fuel in the tank until there isn't!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:All these explanations and I thought it was as simple as the side you can see when you take the petrol cap off is the main one. Otherwise there will always seem to be fuel in the tank until there isn't!
I never thought of that Clive, but is it so with all bike tanks? Perhaps why, if you ran out of petrol, he tip was, run the bikes front wheel up a kerb / bank, lean the bike over towards the tap side. This would drain a little petrol to get you a few more miles.. It may be a good idea to do this occasionally, just in case a lot of sediment is also trapped in the reserve side of the tank.