Frame dating

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
clive

Re: Frame dating

Post by clive »

also read the screen before paying for something on the internet. The cheaper service is aimed at helping people to find out model and marque of the frame so they don't get a shock when they come to try to register a restoration and find out they have done it as a Matchless and the dating certificate says AJS.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

Let's not forget the man's a volunteer guys and as I have found has a wealth of knowledge.
Probably I know the value of a fiver better or as well as most but spending it has to be worth a shot.
Highlander, "There can be only one"…
pev999

Post by pev999 »

G15 Roy wrote:
pev999 wrote:
Lowen1981 wrote:I've just purchased the frame dating records with a fee of £5 to pay pal. It says there's 1 record on file. How do I see this information.

When I paid it never took me to another screen or gave me anything
I did the same and got an email which told me bugger all basically - the engine number and frame number were "hidden". It seems you have to purchase a fancy certificate to find out if the frame and engine started life together. Waste of a fiver!
The dating page tells you what you are going to see before you pay.

Please note, this service does not show all the available information from our records, you will be provided with:

Confirmation of the frame number you searched for
The type of bike found (road, competition, lightweight, pre-war, etc.
The year of manufacture of the frame
The model of the bike as it left the factory
If you require more detailed information, you should use the clubs' Dating Certificates Service. Extra information available may be engine number, gearbox number, dispatch date from the factory, dealer the bike was first sent to and the name of the test rider at the factory. Some of the items mentioned may not be available depending on the amount of information held within the factory records.
Fair enough I suppose but why deliberately withold information if it's available? I don't want or need a certificate and I can't see how revealing the engine and gearbox numbers costs anybody anything. Anyway, it's not worth arguing about - I guess there are reasons...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

pev999 wrote:Fair enough I suppose but why deliberately withold information if it's available? I don't want or need a certificate and I can't see how revealing the engine and gearbox numbers costs anybody anything. Anyway, it's not worth arguing about - I guess there are reasons...
As I recall, Brian, (do I sound like Dianne Abbott?) the online dating check isn't a deliberate move to withhold information but was a fairly recent feature introduced to assist folk who were looking to buy a basket case (e.g. on eBay or at a live auction) or start a restoration to instantly verify that the intended machine was in fact the type as claimed/believed by the seller. It saved the potential buyer the delay and unnecessary expense of getting a full and certificated confirmation.
Since the components of post war Ajay and Matchless machines differ very little and the same series and stamping format of frame numbers was used the only way to determine whether the frame (and therefore its marque) is an Ajay or Matchy is by reference to the factory's despatch records which are held by the club.
It's a grand club with vast technical help and information resources (most of which is free to members) so don't feel that you are being done over ;)
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'll second what Spriddler has written and add, if information was readily available for anyone to view after paying a £5 and you happen to have a set of blank crankcases, need I say more? I'm not saying for one minute that you'd do that sort of thing but you can see where I'm coming from.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Dont forget, the full dating certificate is only valid for a year in the eyes of the DVLA. A fiver is a cheap way of knowing what bike you have before you start to restore it.
Keep up the good work Roy
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

ajscomboman wrote:I'll second what Spriddler has written and add, if information was readily available for anyone to view after paying a £5 and you happen to have a set of blank crankcases, need I say more? I'm not saying for one minute that you'd do that sort of thing but you can see where I'm coming from.

......and you have to send in photo's of the engine, frame and gearbox numbers to get a dating certificate.

I have used the £5 service a few times when thinking of bidding on ebay, it's a good service!