Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:31 pm
Location: CHESHIRE UK

Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby teebee67 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 am

I know I should've taken measurements before I sent the oil tank for painting but..... can anyone tell me how to decide the correct height for the minimum and maximum oil level transfers on my AJS Model 31 please?
I'm only old on the outside.

Member
User avatar
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:00 am
Location: ESSEX UK

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby 1608 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 am

Just put them where they look right, as they are only a rough guide anyway. People only re-affix them after painting for looks anyway. Fill oil to about 1/2" below the return out let in the tank and never let the level fall too low anyway.

Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:44 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby Mick D » Fri May 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi

These decals were installed in the same positions as the original ones.

Oil Levels Decals.png


OK - not a model 31 but it may help

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:00 am
Location: NORMANDIE FRANCE

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby Groily » Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm with 1608. Full is good, for cooling as much as anything (but peace of mind too). Better to top up regularly after a run with small amounts than to wait till things are at the minimum (wherever that might be!) in my opinion.

Member
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 1995 12:00 am
Location: ESSEX UK

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby G15 Roy » Fri May 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Groily wrote:I'm with 1608. Full is good, for cooling as much as anything (but peace of mind too). Better to top up regularly after a run with small amounts than to wait till things are at the minimum (wherever that might be!) in my opinion.


We may struggle to maintain a constant level on our trip to Poland as no back up van. Unless you could pop out with a top up Bill. ;) other wise fill up as we can with 250 miles a day we shoud be OK.
Roy

Member
User avatar
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: HAMPSHIRE UK

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby ajscomboman » Fri May 19, 2017 4:57 pm

G15 Roy wrote:
Groily wrote:I'm with 1608. Full is good, for cooling as much as anything (but peace of mind too). Better to top up regularly after a run with small amounts than to wait till things are at the minimum (wherever that might be!) in my opinion.


We may struggle to maintain a constant level on our trip to Poland as no back up van. Unless you could pop out with a top up Bill. ;) other wise fill up as we can with 250 miles a day we shoud be OK.


Given the fact that on one trip we used over 4 gallons just to make it to Denmark and then some more on the way back, could you make it a tankers worth please Bill. :rofl:

Member
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 1995 12:00 am
Location: ESSEX UK

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby G15 Roy » Fri May 19, 2017 5:01 pm

ajscomboman wrote:
G15 Roy wrote:
Groily wrote:I'm with 1608. Full is good, for cooling as much as anything (but peace of mind too). Better to top up regularly after a run with small amounts than to wait till things are at the minimum (wherever that might be!) in my opinion.


We may struggle to maintain a constant level on our trip to Poland as no back up van. Unless you could pop out with a top up Bill. ;) other wise fill up as we can with 250 miles a day we shoud be OK.


Given the fact that on one trip we used over 4 gallons just to make it to Denmark and then some more on the way back, could you make it a tankers worth please Bill. :rofl:


And one bike with an advisory at its MOT today ( oil leak ). :o
Roy

Member
User avatar
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: HAMPSHIRE UK

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby ajscomboman » Fri May 19, 2017 7:14 pm

That'll make 2 then as rusty tends to weep and leave it's mark when parked up. :roll:

Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:00 am
Location: NORMANDIE FRANCE

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby Groily » Fri May 19, 2017 8:49 pm

bleedin' 'eck! Oil-o-holics! Sounds like 'top up regularly with LARGE amounts' then for you guys. I'll see what the combined ranks of Total, Elf and others can do . . .
Auxiliary oil tanks, BIG ones, in case we can't get constant fresh supplies to follow the drips and fumes of the incontinent across half a continent?
Good Luck!

Member
User avatar
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:40 pm
Location: Chipping Norton

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Postby leswaller » Fri May 19, 2017 9:09 pm

No wonder the world is introducing emmission and pollution controls with you lot turned loose on an unsuspecting Europe scattering oil like rain and leaving a subtle oil mist reminiscent of stink wheels :P :P :P :P
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise

Next

Return to Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests