Front brake cable 56 G80S

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Front brake cable 56 G80S

Post by 56G80S »

The one I currently have fitted is less than satisfactory. the inner is skinny and the outer not robust enough.

I fitted it as a temprorary measure some long time ago but have had enough.

I am competent at making up cables (one of the few things I do well).

I thought I would get a Venhill cable but they, as I found after searching through similar threads using the search function, make no "off the shelf" for AMC except Norton.

They don't sell a "universal" front brake cable. Where's the best place to go for innner, outer etc. to make one up with an inner that doesn't look like a throttle cable and outer that doesn't just compress?

JJ Cables are mentioned but I haven't found them.

By the way, whoever posted about using the 7/8" centres lever for the clutch was spot on, despite a terribly run and over long (I'll shorten it soon) cable the 7/8" lever I fitted is soo much easier. I'll invest in a new lever, the one I've fitted is really too scruffy even for me. But it'll stay on until I get the new one!

Cheers

Johnny B
Duncan

Re: Front brake cable 56 G80S

Post by Duncan »

Have you tried Vehicle Wiring Products for cables?
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/p ... ter-casing

You may have to salvage a cable adjuster from your old one or get one from a jumble, they are available new.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I just get my local old bike shop to obtain the rolls of inners and outers for me in differring sizes, I normally use a larger diameter outer and inner, than the norm, for the front brake under the assumption the compression of the outer coils will be slightly less because of the greater strength in the steel coilings, maybe tommy rot but it works for me! kind regards
edited for poor spelling oh doh!
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Johnny

Company: J J Cables Ltd
Address: Hillfields Farm
Lighthorne
Warwickshire
CV35 0BQ
Telephone: 01926 651470

I have used JJs for a while now and never been disappointed.

Just send the old cable and they will make a copy exactly the same, or a bit longer, shorter, heavier.............

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

And to add to Jim's comments they will also do you a teflon lined outer if you wish. I live about 5 miles away and just go ever with my old cable. I have always had a warm welcome except when they are stressed making up batches for shows etc, and always been very happy with their cables
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks for that, it's very helpful.

I'm just a bit tight and also need to confident that the other bloke is going to do the job as good as I can; so called experts have let me down in the past.

Venhill website were looking at custom cable with a guide price around £45 plus postage.

I do have front brake adjusters but when very skint all those years ago re-used outers and inners for different motorcycles.

Contacts im my notebook now. Thanks again.

Johnny B
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

J & J Cables do have all the correct adjusters for AMC Machines. If you really are not sure about buying from a source unknown to yourself. I'm pretty sure that AMC Classic Spares stocks J & J cables.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks for all the support.

Have ordered from JJ Cables.

Cheers

Johnny B