Short plug life (G9)

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Colin Kent.

Short plug life (G9)

Post by Colin Kent. »

Greetings Sages,

Can anyone please suggest why my G9 has suddenly started "eating" spark plugs ( B8ES), since a recent magneto rewind ?
I have had to replace 6 plugs in the last 100 miles of admittedly short runs.
All suggestions will be appreciated.

Colin Kent
Dave

Short plug life (G9)

Post by Dave »

Colin,
Are they B8ES NGK Plugs or another make? Also are they fouled/contaminated in any way when you remove them? If you clean a plug that fails does it then work OK or if you re-fit a previously 'failed' plug when the engine is cold does it then appear to work OK? answers to tese questions may help to pin-point the problem.
Dave.
Colin Kent.

Short plug life (G9)

Post by Colin Kent. »

Greetings Dave,
Thanks for your response.
Plugs are NGK B8ES.
When removed they are wet, slightly oily, but generally clean and free from hard black or other deposits.
When re-fitted after cleaning, drying and gap check
(using 0.023 in.) they will not produce a start.
Fitting a new plug results in an immediate start and
faultless running.
Regards, Colin Kent
TommoT

Short plug life (G9)

Post by TommoT »

If the mag rewind is the only alteration to engine set-up the answer to your troubles must lie here! Maybe with a fresh mag, providing a healthy spark the carb set-up is no longer ideal. It may have suited the weaker spark and ignition timing before the rewind. Your symptoms match exactly the ones displayed by my G80 after a rebuild. I tried everything in the ignition department, rejetted the carb, lowered the needle etc.. Not until I changed the airslide, went from a #3 to a #3½ (Monoblock 389) did I get the mixture right. The bike was transformed, has run on the same plug since!

Good luck!

Tom M. (TM)
Denmark
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
RogerNorman

Short plug life (G9)

Post by RogerNorman »

I would be inclined to say that you are running the wrong plug. I run my G9 on B7ES and have done for years. From memory the B8ES is a softer plug
Colin Kent.

Short plug life (G9)

Post by Colin Kent. »

Greetings Roger,
Thanks for this. I changed to the B8ES plug to overcome a "whiskering" problem encountered during running in after a bottom end rebuild. The change cured the "whisker" problem, and since the engine now has nearly 500 miles up since the rebuild, I will try reverting to the B7 grade.
Colin Kent
Colin Kent.

Short plug life (G9)

Post by Colin Kent. »

Greetings Tom,
Thanks for this. I have been concerned for some time that the mixture is too rich. A previous one notch change of the needle setting resulted in immediate "blueing" of the RH exhaust pipe, which suggested to me that the mix was then too weak, so I reverted to the present setting.
I will try the needle adjustment again.
I do not understand your suggested need to change the carb. slide.
Thanks again for your interest.
Colin Kent