Complaint about AJSMOC Spares

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Post by Janet »

I saw this on another forum.

His moan

Posted by fortheadingley on September 20, 2003, 12:53 pm

Let me first say that I ride bikes because I like to, all bike new or old, whatever takes my fancy because I enjoy it. As everyone knows this frequently incudes the need to buy consumables.....herein lies the problem. My current steed in a '61 G12 for which I have a spare '59 engine which needs big end shells. Not a problem thinks I, I live not to far from the Northants Clasic bike Centre, which incorporates the AJSMOC. They'll get me out of this one!!
Not so, yes they had a set of big ends for my machine but I'm not a member of their gang so he wouldn't sell them to me! But if I wanted to join that'll be £27 thanks. Now at the moment I enjoy the bike and it give me many smiles but its unlikely that I'll be keeping it ad infititum so I don't feel the need to join the owners club.
If I'd wanted used spares, Matchless X crankcases for example I could understand not selling to someone outside the clique. But its end shell for gods sake loads of people sell them all over the country and they still make them, so they're not exactly exclusive.
Anyhow, popped into see Phil Short of the TRIUMPH owners club and he's got them being despatched monday from......yep, Ernie Meryweather. Oooooohh angry!!! Rant over thanks for listening.

My answer – hope it's OK

Posted by Janet on September 20, 2003, 3:44 pm, in reply to "Re: fortheadingley and the AJSMOC masonic lodge"

I am a member of the AJS Club, Over the years it is the members who contributed our money to purchase the spares. This means they are ours collectively. We are also collectively responsible for paying the suppliers. We then sell them to us individually as and when we need them. I suppose we could sell them to non-members at a profit but that would also create arguments too.
I am also a member of the LE Velo Club which operates a similar scheme, including paying for the manufacture of new spares.
Remember it is the club and its members who take the financial risk in order to build up this stock.
To put it another way, if you bought a few spares to keep for yourself, how would you feel if someone else got aggrieved because you wouldn't sell them to him?

bjork

Post by bjork »

I just saw and replied to this posting too,hope he sees the logic.Hope I got it right too!Ah well I used a different name so no one will ever know will they?

Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Hi
I believe it is also to do with the tax basis. If Jampot Spares sells outside the club it is liable for various extra tax liabilities. Blame the government[:)]

Lawrence
Janet

Post by Janet »

quote:Originally posted by Steve Brown

Ah well I used a different name so no one will ever know will they?

They will if I tell them.[}:)] Even better, I'll start using your name.
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

The main reason we do not sell to anyone but club members is the tax reason. If we did all the profit we made, which at present is used to invest in increasing the range of spares, would be taxed at a whopping 30%![:0]
Since we only sell to club members, the profit is then considered as being reinvested for the benefit of club members, the nice Mr Taxman then considers us a not for profit organisation and only charges us corporation tax on income from investments only but lets us keep all the profit on the sales for use within the club[:)]
To correct the other point, big end shells, center mains and pistons are not being made commerically to my knowledge, we are the only people I know getting batches made, and these are not being sold in batches to other dealers as was the need in the past to cover cost.