Mending Fences?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
gsneyd

Mending Fences?

Post by gsneyd »

A relation of mine lives 1 mile from the Watford Gap Service station. He tells me that the place is really the village of Watford Northamptonshire and that the GAP refers to the nearby canal cutting.
It's also "Down South".
Relative to Cheshire that is.[:D]

lawrence

Mending Fences?

Post by lawrence »

Cor Blimey, these juniors[;)]

Everybody knows that Northamptonshire, being the 'Rose of the Shires' and best county in the country is neither North or South but simply towers above both!

Kneel you knaves and admit your inferiority (right, I'm leaving the country pretty damn quick now!!)[:o)]

Lawrence[}:)]
John Collins.

Mending Fences?

Post by John Collins. »

Prettily quoth Sir Lawrence for indeed is not Northamptonshire truely the Rose of the Shires but alas thy cricket team appeareth not to subscribe to such noble aspirations. My youngest daughter has just hissed Leicestershire to me.

Merlin

Mending Fences?

Post by Merlin »

Well well I live in Lancashire work in cheshire but as everyone should be aware the very centre of the universe is where I was born along with Robin the hood Nottinhamshire so any area to the south of there is south.
Cheers
I am now off [|)]

Chemists do it with test tubes
John Collins.

Mending Fences?

Post by John Collins. »

I suppose it is all relative to where you live, so anything south of that place must be south and anything north of that place must be north of a line running through it east to west? I assume to those living in Lands End everyone else is a Northerner and to those living in John-o- Groats everyone else is a Southerner. Where does that leave those who live East/West of a North/South line?

silverarrow

Mending Fences?

Post by silverarrow »

Compassed!

I recall that the Watford gap is famous for the Watling St., Grand Union canal, The LMS line and the M1 all using the same wee Gap within a 100yds of each other.

Les Smith (silverarrow397) [:o)]
Keep smiling
lawrence

Mending Fences?

Post by lawrence »

Curse you Les. Have to get the atlas out now and check.[;)]

Lawrence[}:)]
silverarrow

Mending Fences?

Post by silverarrow »

I am sure if you look about where the B4036 crosses the M1 etc you'll not be dissappointed. All 4 routes stay in close company for a few miles south of there also.[^]

Les Smith (silverarrow397) [:o)]
Keep smiling